Sunday 24 February 2013

Sunday 24th February - Clevedon Club Match Woodlands Lake Trinity Waters

What a cold day it has been so understandable that a few did not turn up leaving only 9 of us to pitch our witts against the elements. I nearly did not make it myself due to slipping down a ladder yesterday afternoon while trying to prun some trees, fortunetly only bruised ribs and my pride was hurt. Mrs C did look after me calling me a few names at the same time oh and she also said ''I suppose you'll still be going fishing tomorrow'' too right.
Anyway back to the match, Aidie Baker booked us all in an Misha took food orders as well as providing the usual cup of tea or coffee on arrival. Due to the cold we fished 10:30 - 16:00. I drew peg 14 which is on the far side of the lake but you really need to be around halfway. Rich Heatley who won the last match here a few weeks ago drew the same peg again so he was happy (for a change). 3 pegs to my left I had Chris Fox, 2 pegs to my right was Kev Perry, above him 2 pegs away was Brian Slipper, more or less opposite me was Rich Heatley.

View from my peg


Rich Heatley opposite with the wind in his face



I had loads of various baits today but only fed sparingly, neat groundbait stright out at 13 meters, left and right hand margins with small amount of micro and dead read. No activity all match from the margins. At the all in I started out with popped up bread cast half way across, so did Kev but he was using lickly bread in a small feeder with a short hooklength. Kev had a carp first cast, I had a few liners, Brian Slipper up on 10 had one as well using bread. I stuck with the bread and had one on about 11:15 then it came off (foul hooked I think), the Misha came around with my tea just as I was playing another, I had it nearly at the net but it came off as well so Misha got the blame. Kev next door stayed quiet, Chris to my left was also struggling, Brian up on 10 was putting fish in the net at regular intervals and continued this all through the match. I chopped and changed all day between the pole and the lead, I did put a few silvers in the net on dead red but Chris was going all out for roach on the wag using caster and was catching quite a few all be it small. I decided to sit it out for carp on the bread as I was not going to catch as fast as Chris, I knew Brian was well ahead, Rich opposite me also had a few carp and Kev still only had 2. I did have a flurry of activity for about 40 minutes where I put 3 carp in the net but it wasn't enough today.

Brian won the match with 55lb odd, pic below



Rich was 2nd with 39lb dead, pic below (this boy is getting too smug)


Kev got 3rd overall but due to only paying top 2 and a silver he picked up the silver place - pic below



Top 6 results from 9 anglers

1st    Brian Slipper 55lb 4oz
2nd   Rich Heatley 39lb
3rd   Kev Perry 24lb 3oz
4th   Ivan Currie 14lb 5oz
5th   Barry Fowler 8lb 6oz
6th   Chris Fox 4lb 9oz (all roach on the wag and caster)

Silvers
Kev Perry 7lb 14 included a big F1 which did not please Chris, I am sure he will comment, check his blog http://maesknollmatchangling.blogspot.co.uk/

Press reportfor Anglers Mail and North Somerset Times as follows...

Brian uses his loaf
Clevedon Freshwater Angling Clubs latest match held on Woodland Lake Trinity Waters near Bridgwater was a predictable low turnout due to the cold weather. Despite the cold temperatures and snow flurries during the match some respectable weights were put together. Leading the way was Brian Slipper who from peg 10 caught some quality carp on popped up bread fished just off the bottom at regular intervals, he also added a couple using the pole at 14 meters with soft pellet for a total weight of 55lb 4oz. Richard Heatley was second from peg 23, a peg he drew only 4 weeks ago and won from so he knew exactly what to do and caught 39lb of carp using maggot on the hook fished at 9 meters up on the lake shelf. Kev Perry got off to a flying start catching a carp first cast on the bread but that was it for a few hours until he added another along with 7lb 14oz of silver fish on the pole fished at distance which was good enough for the silver fish prize.

1 comment:

  1. Shame I missed out coming along today, was at The Big One in Farnborough.

    Suprised only 9 made it though.

    PSV were on Wildmarsh, think they struggled too.

    May see you next week if I can wangle it. Not fished the Avon since mid 90's when I was a young teenager...!!

    ReplyDelete