Sunday 22 April 2012

Sunday 22nd April Summerhayes open

This was my second visit to Summerhayes, the draw was 10:00 fishing 11- 5. Personally I much prefer an earlier start as I wake up about 0630 so I found myself taking the dog for a walk and then cooked a breakfast before heading down the M5 at about 0830. On arrival at the fishery a mug of tea was thrustin my hand and had a bit of banter with the locals before the draw. Longs Lake was pretty calm and there were a few fish showing, into the draw box and out comes ping pong ball 35 which is a reasonable draw but with 28 fishing today it was going to be tight. On peg 34 I had venue expert Bruce Hunt who I remember from my days on the Grand Western Canal at Tiverton, I think they had 0500 draws then and fished 7 - 12 to avoid the horsedrawn barge. Peg 36 was also occupied with a local angler called Jim I think. I set up a banded pellet shallow for 14 meters across, banded pellet for the bottom of the far shelf, a rig for fishing in the deep water 11 meters straight in front with soft pellet or worm and a paste rig for the inside (very limited margins).
On the whistle I fired over about 12 fishmeal 4mm pellets and went straight over on the shallow rig with banded 6 mm, second lift and drop I had a pasty carp about 2lb, the reeds were twitching all the time. Soon I had another but hooked in the tail then lost 3 on the trot so I left it for a while. Out on the 11 meter rig with soft pellet and kindercupped in some mirco's, 2 skimmers about 1lb and 2lb came within 10 mins of each other. The wind got up, the rain came and I was unable to fish the far bank all day, nothing in the margins on paste or worm then I had a small tench towards the end. All in all a nightmare day, peg 36 weighed in approx 23lb on paste mainly down the edge, pegs 38 and 39 blanked, Bruce to my right had 6 carp all on paste, quite a few others DNW. Bruce actually packed up 20 mins before the end. Not sure what the winning weight was as I left for home once I had packed up. I did speak to John Dursley at then end who I hadn't seen for years, he now owns and runs Enterprize Angling in Taunton, John was admitting to 10lb of silvers. The far end of the lake towards the motorway apparently had fished better which was also out of the wind.
Not the day I had hoped for but I will be back.
http://www.summerhayesfisheries.com/
Next week we have a Clevedon Club Match on Rushcombe Lake 'Bullocks Farm' (lets hope it's not), I really need a few fish and a bit of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment