Sunday 1 April 2012

Sunday 1st April 'a bit of fluff chucking'

Clevedon had no match on this weekend and as usual during the week I was pondering what to do. I thought I had convinced myself to return to Summerhayes Fishery again and fish the Sunday open as I was not that far away from the money last week and it had been my first visit. I had a really crap week at work and ended up playing catch up at home most of Saturday afternoon and to be honest couldn't be bothered to sort the gear out. Another factor was I only had just over a quarter of a tank of fuel due to the  madness during the week resulting in all my local Fuel Stations sold out!
I needed to get out by the water though so late on Saturday I decided a few hours fly fishing on Bristol Waters Barrow Tanks would be a change, its only 15 mins from home and did not need any bait either, the last time I fly fished was last September.
I got up at about 7 am on Sunday and was surprised to see a light frost, the skies were also clear so not great conditions. Barrow consists of 3 bowl type reservoirs, No.3 is off limit all year as thet are doing some maintenance but 1 at 30 acres and 3 at about 40 acres there is always plenty of room, full day is £14.50 with an 8 fish limit. I got there just after 8 am and paid the money at the self service ticket booth and headed for No.2, shoulder bag, net and rod n reel that was it (you keep thinking you have forgotten something).
Only 4 other anglers present all in a line so I guessed this would be the best area to pitch up as well, after talking to them, black buzzers, pheasant tails or small nymphs fished on an 18 to 20' leader was the best approach,only one of them had caught (a rainbow of about 4 - 5 lb but this would have been an older fish and not stocked this year).

Pictures below are looking to my left and straight across, what a match water this would make and I think Bristol Water would make more money as well!



I set up as advise with a floating line, 20' leader with a gold head on the point and a black buzzer ad a dropper, I only get in a mess if I attach any more droppers, you wouldn't want to get close to me either, an ear could quite easy be taken off.
After a while it was clear and due to the slow retrieve required the gold head on the point was too heavy as I was catching bottom so a change to a lighter fly a red buzzer done the trick. I kept looking around and nothing was being caught, at about 10 o'clock the guy to my left caught quite close in and just as he was about to re-cast, another angler also had one just after. I still hadn't had a pull at 10:30. A change to a green buzzer on the point and after quite a good cast saw me get a quick pull at distance but no take. Just after 11 am that was out right with a positive pull a strike and a rainbow was on jumping out of the water at the same time (a bream at summerhayes done this as well last week). After a short but satisfying fight and lots of 'please don't come off' he was mine, pic below. Not the biggest fish but satisfying never the less, at home it weighed 1lb 12oz before being cleaned and put in the freezer.


I had to leave at 12 noon as I promised my daughter a lift into Bristol but as I was not used to fly fishing my arm had had enough anyway.
Easter Sunday the Clevedon Club has a match on Woodlands Lake Trinity Waters, really looking forward to that and of course the Easter Weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment