Sunday 8 January 2012

Sunday 8th January 2012 - Clevedon Club match Plantation main lake, Kingston Seymour

I generally look forward to fishing the main lake at Plantations, in the past it has been pretty good to me. My best ever match weight here was 98lbs of carp in January 2009 on the straight lead and corn. What made it even more special was the lake was covered in thick ice on arrival and had to be broken with a rowing boat before we could start fishing. I only came second on the day, Craig Tucker won with 137lb of the next peg on straight lead and bread.
Today was a full house, 20 fishing even though there are 40 pegs. Mark Walsh turned up on spec but had to be turned away, so he headed off down the road to Bullocks Farm. Quite a few of the Sensas Thyers guys turned up (also Clevedon Club members) along with some other very capable anglers so drawing the right peg (whatever that looks like) is always important. So having paid the annual Club membership fee of £5 and £20 to enter the match including pools I was looking to get a few quid back today.
Match Secretary Barry Fowler was in charge of proceedings (Barry gets a lot of stick but he does a good job, plus I don't see anyone else volunteering to organise the events). Into the scrum around the draw bucket, manage to get my hand in and out comes peg 25, 26 was not in, neither was 24 and I had the choice of an island chuck. To be honest I was quite happy and didn't waste much time getting to the peg. I had Paul Faires to my left on 27 and Glenn Calvert to my right on 23, both very good anglers and usually hard to beat.

View from my peg

Glenn was always going to go for silvers given that he was in a bay with no island chuck, Paul's peg did have a lot of form for carp just of the point of the island and in front on the pole for skimmers and roach.
I set up a small method feeder for use with a hair rig, a waggler to fish banded pellet and one pole rig to fish for silvers at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock at 13 meters. At the all in I feed a small amount of wetted micro and a few casters on the pole lines then out went the method with wetted mirco in the mould and  piece of corn on the hair rig. After 10 mins the liners started and again and again after each cast for the first 30 mins, I heard Paul on 27 was experiencing the same. Next cast the hair rig was left outside the mould which resulted in a half hearted but positive pull round and a 3lb plus common was in the net.
Ah ah cracked it, how wrong could I have been. After another fruitless hour the method rod goes behind me and I try the wag with 8mm banded, I had been firing out 8mm over to the island as I had noticed some fish blowing and even coming to the top. Casting was awkward because of the trees behind me and it wasn't long before I snapped off after catching a branch on the cast. Out comes the pole with double dead red and I bump a decent skimmer, back out and I foul hook a carp which comes off, things are starting to go wrong. The anglers I could see were not catching a lot so I refocused and after a few more put in's had one of the Planataions big perch about 2lb (they have been caught 4lb and over). I continued to catch the odd roach and small skimmer but by now I could see Glen on 23 doing quite well on silvers, Paul on 27 was also sticking to the pole and getting a small roach each cast.
It was quite hard and catching 1oz or 2oz roach was not the action I was looking for so I tried the method and wag on the odd ocassion but not a sausage.
The highlight of the day was watching John Woolsencroft (prob wrong spelling of his surname) try to land a duck after hitting it on the back with his method feeder, I managed to get the camera out in time although he was a bit far away to zoom in properly, judging by his sign language to me he does not appear to be happy (lol)


Anway the weather was kind and it was great to fish the first match of the year, I didn't trouble the scales too much with 7lb 14oz, either side Paul and Glen weighed in around 12lb of silvers, had I stuck to the pole would prob have not been that far away from them.
The other side of the lake fished much better with Richard Healey wining the match.

1st Richard Healey 57lb 5oz peg 4 or 5
2nd Dave Baker 33lb 4oz peg 30
3rd Mike Owens 31lb 12oz, not sure which peg

Silvers
1st Mark Bromsgrove
2nd Paul Faires

Next Club match is 22nd January, back on Plantations, need to sort myself out and stick to a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment