Sunday 15 January 2012

Sunday 15th January River Kenn Clevedon

With no Club event on this weekend I was in two minds whether to go out or not. I had a busy week behind me and a night away from home up in Northampton. I passed through Clevedon on the way to Congressbury on Saturday so I stopped to have a look at the river. The pegs toward the sea wall looked very inviting, the colour and flow appeared to be spot on as well. I remember in March 10 Kev Perry took 77lb of bream off peg 4 on bread.


So that was it then I would go on the Kenn the next day, come on you bream!
Sunday came and I got up just before 09:00, no point in rushing had a bit of breakfast and liquidised a loaf of bread. I was loaded up by just before 10:00 and headed of to Olivers in Clevedon for a few maggots, I had some worm from a few weeks ago. It's handy having Olivers close by, he opens about 07:00 and closes around 12:00 I believe.
I arrived on the bank about 10:30 and set up on peg 4, it did look nice, although it had been a cold start the sun was soon making it feel more comfortable and there was a light downstream wind, the tide was almost at its height as well so a run off and steady flow should be spot on for the waggler. The wag was set up, 3AA float to 3lb line and a 0.09 hook length with a 20 hook. I also set up a small cage feeder, to a 0.10 hook length and a 16 on the end. I was looking forward to the session.


View from my peg

I started off by putting a few balls of bread in down the middle which was about 4 foot deep and fired a few maggots across toward the bottom of the far shelf which is about 2.5 to 3 foot, I kept feeding both lines but put the wag up the bank after an hour as I did not get a touch. An hour passed on the feeder with bread and again no indications. I tried the bread in the feeder with double maggot on the hook but again the tip was motionless, I did have a smashed / stretched maggot at one point so there was at least one fish in the swim. Back on the wag again far bank and down the middle, not a sausage and that's how it ended I'm afraid. The Kenn has been good to me over the years but this year has been a disaster for most anglers and you would be luckly to find anyone fishing it. Back in October I won a Club match with 3 perch for 8oz!!!! (that was worth almost £10 an oz).
Next week we have a club match on Plantations again so need to draw up a plan this week, is it take a chance on carp or just go for silvers no matter where I draw - we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment