Sunday 22 January 2012

Sunday 22nd January Clevedon Club Match Plantations Horseshoe lake

This match was scheduled to be fished on the main lake at the Plantations complex but had to be switched to the smaller Horseshoe lake due to only 9 being booked in. Apparently an open had been arranged on the nearby Acorn Fishery which had affected the number of attendees. I was not concerned as Match Secretary Barry Fowler had done the decent thing and sent us a text a few days beforehand.
The draw was to be held in the main car park due to high levels of soft mud on the approach to Horseshoe but a couple of anglers still drove their vehicles and one ended up being pushed out at the end of the match. Why don't people listen to good advice?
Anyway I paid my £20 to Barry who informed me we were now down to 8 anglers due to Darren (aka Nudd MBE and venue expert) having to take his daughter to a party. No worries, it's a day out and there would be loads of room for everyone.
Into the sensas draw bucket and out comes Peg 2 (permanent peg 3) not my favourite area to be honest but would have to make the most of it. On arrival I had James Gunter to my right on peg 1 and Dave Baker on permanent peg 5), James has drawn this peg 4 times in 5 matches and done well.



View from my peg

I set up 3 rigs one to fish at 6 meters out in front for silvers, one at 11 meters for silvers and one at 13 meters to the island for carp. Both silver rigs had 0.10 and a drennan 18 silver fish pellet hook at the business end, the carp rig had 0.13 straight through to a maver mt6 16 with a few 10's as bulk and one 10 as a dropper. I fed all 3 lines at the start the short one with liquidised bread, the long silver one with green swim stim and caster and the carp with wetted micro and a few dead reds. I fish the bread fish and after 30 mins with regular feeding not an indication. Straight over on the long silver line with double dead red the float slowly goes under and a 1lb perch is my reward, nice. By this time James was blanking and Dave had a couple of roach. Out again and a small roach, then another and another, I was topping up the feed via a kinder pot. I rested the long silver line and fed the near one with caster and went over on my carp line with corn, no response from anything, I changed between dead red and live maggot, no movement at all. Back out on the long silver and few more roach give themslves up then a nice skimmer around 2lb. I rested this swim and came in on the short line again and had a few roach. Dave had a few small carp and James was also begining to catch including a carp around 6lb. Needed carp if I was to stand a chance so back over with double maggot, I did not have to wait long for a bite which resulted in a small carp around a pound and then a couple more, I foul hooked a better one around 3lb which messed up the swim but did land it. The rest of my match continued nicking a few fish here and there, I knew James had more than me but I had more than Dave. The usual bankside rumours and the jungle telegraph indicated that Simon Carvello had a few fish and the far leg of the Horseshoe had produced a few good weights.
Weighing in started on my bank, Simon Carvello on the end had 26lb 2oz, some really big perch and skimmers plus small carp around a pound, next to weigh was Phil Nash who had a similar bag to Simons but beat him by an oz! Dave Baker did not weigh, I weighed 11lb 12oz and James had 18lb. On the far leg of the lake Barry weighed in 14lb plus next to him Rob Fogg pictured below with his catch had 44lb 8oz.


Next and what seemed to be miles from any other angler was Dave Wride who said he had more than 40lb. Bloody right he did there were 3 nets in the water 2 carp and 1 silver! Dave weighed in 126lb 4, only 1lb 14oz was silvers. Dave caught all day on expander over 2mm pellet at 11meters. What a catch on a January day and on a lake that a lot of anglers ignore. Dave is pictured below with part of his catch.


1st - Dave Wride 126lb 4oz
2nd Rob Fogg 44lb 8oz
3rd Phil Nash 26lb 5oz

I have a week off now and may go to the Tuesday tenner open at Acorn, decorating permitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment