Monday 19 April 2021

Sunday 18th April - Clevedon Club Match, Apex Lake Highbridge

 There was a big match on the Gloucester Canal today but as I had already booked in for my Club Match I decided to continue with that.

This is my personal opinion / views, not the Clubs.......

How can you be charged a peg fee over and above the cost of a day ticket for a match? 

On top of that why did shopping trollies have to removed by from pegs as well as cutting reeds in order that the booked pegs could be fished?

It beats me or i must be missing something!

The match was well attended with 22 taking part and Adie our Match Secretary done a good job trying to keep everyone within the COVID guidelines.

A few had been down on the lake during the week and had to wait a long time for a few bream, I think about 30lb was best.

I had fished the lake a long time ago, probably 8 years.

Into the bag and I was give peg 30 just on the edge of the bowl and where the lake starts to narrow going up towards an Island.

Got to my peg and the reeds narrowed right in front of the platform. No chance of setting a tip rod up at an angle so set about cutting them. Ended up slicing my finger on one of them and Matt Davis came to the rescue with plasters, so not a good start and by the time I was ready the match had already started 10 minutes. 


I had a fishmeal feeder line at 40 turns and 2 pole lines at 13 metres, 11 o'clock and 2 o'clock prepped with sensas lake and choppy with dead pinkie.

Starting off on the feeder I was casting a bit chac handed as the plaster on my finger was getting in the way. Eventually I got a rattle and swung in a small skimmer so off the mark.

Kev Perry was next door but I couldn't see him and was asking for updates lol.

I had a good roach next which actually hooked itself as I didn't see the bite!

Paul Smith was on the other side of me on 29 and lost a decent bream at the net, so there seemed to be a few fish about.

I persevered with the tip for just over an hour without adding any more fish. Coming in on the pole at 11 o'clock the float sailed away in less than 4 foot of water and the 5 elastic shot out. It was a small skimmer about a pound. 

Swapping between all my lines through the gruelling 6 hours I didn't see much action at all.

Looking down toward the bottom end of the lake I couldn't see much action at all, if any so knew it had been hard for a lot. In fact Match Organiser Adie did not have a single bite.

Kev next door to me sat on the tip all day and ended up with around 6 or 7 baby bream for 18lb plus which wa enough to win the match.


Kev with his winning bag

Full results as follows..

1st         Kev Perry 18 - 11
2nd       Mark Bromsgrove 16 - 14
3rd        Mark Bartlett 10 - 01
4th        Simon Carvallo 9 - 06
5th        Paul Smith 8 - 12


Pleasure fishing Wednesday on the Bristol Feeder Canal and then the start of the Gloucester Canal Spring League on Sunday (another hard match).  


No comments:

Post a Comment