Sunday 4 April 2021

Easter Sunday 4th April - Bristol Feeder Canal

 I was up on the Gloucester Canal last Wednesday with team mate Leigh Wakefield and was also joined by Dan and Toby. We all fished Castle Down and just took Feeder Rods. Toby had the best catch with 3 bream and a tench, I had 2 bream, Dan had a bream and a big rudd and Leigh had 1 bream.

Leigh and I are having a bit of a competition each outing so after he done me the previous Sunday on the Feeder Canal it was 1 - 1.

Back to today and I had arranged to meet team mate Andy Thomas on the Feeder Canal as he had never fished it before.

I was up early and it was -1 degrees at 06:45, the windscreen needed to be scraped.

My robins were also up early and as I opened the garage one flew past me and landed on my boot socks waiting for his breakfast, they are definitely getting braver.


can you spot the robin?

Robins fed I headed into Bristol, as I got to the Redcliffe area the temperature was 2 degrees.

As I parked up on Feeder Rd. Leigh turned up which was a surprise, he said he might be down later in the morning but managed to sort out a few things giving him an opportunity to come early. Andy also arrived about the same time so it was 3 Team Nomads in a row down by Manor Scrap.

The sun was up and the sky was clear but the canal had a bit of colour in it.

My rigs were all ready with hook lengths on them so didn't take long to set up. 1 x 1 gram to a drennan 20 to 0.09 and 1 x 1.5 gram to a tubertini red 20 to 0.09.

My ground bait mix today was 50/50 Sensas Noire and Gros Gardons with a little fine mole hill soil. Two lines as usual 13 metres and 9 metres. Started off with one ball on each line to feel my way into the session. 

It was a bit slow but I could see Leigh swinging in a small fish. 15 minutes or so in I had my first bite, a big bullhead, not a good sign. More bullheads followed which was concerning. I walked up to Leigh who told me he had bumped a roach first put in and was also catching bullheads plus small dace, hmmm. Andy was still settling in setting up as I advised.

Going into the second hour I started to get some dace so a little better. I was cupping in ground bait laced with dead red and dead pinkie. The canal tow was all over the place and running hard at times due to a number of boats around. The boats don't affect the fishing but the tow does.

A few roach showed in short spells and went as quick as they turned up.

Leigh came down and said he was struggling, he had also bumped what he thought was a bream.

I was building up a nice weight but it wasn't fast and furious. Andy came down for a walk and said he was getting some nice net roach using caster on the hook and a mix of frenzied hemp and canal black.

In the last 30 minutes the roach came back and I also had a small skimmer and a half tidy hybrid.

We called it a day at 14:30.

No scales were used but I estimated Andy had 12lb fish of quality roach, I had a mixed bag weighing around 9lb and Leigh had about 3lbs.


Nice bag for Andy


2nd place for me today but its now 2 - 1 to me in Ivan v Leigh


Leigh's bag

Still a nice day out in good company and it was good to meet a couple of Ivans Angle followers who passed by and well as old pal Les Williams aka Chub Head.

It's going to be a cold one this coming week but probably end up on the Glossy on Wednesday.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment