Wednesday 30 January 2019

Wednesday 30th January - Avon Winter League Round 4, Bristol Avon, Bradford on Avon

Given the weather forecast I was not looking forward to this match. The draw was at the Lock Inn near the Tythe Barn which doesn't open until 08:30 but it takes an hour to get there from home plus you need to get there early to avoid paying for parking and allow for traffic through the M5 road works and the congestion around the Almondsbury Interchange (M5/M4).
So....the alarm went off at 05:40 and I set about defrosting the van at 06:00, the temperature gauge was registering  -4 degrees. All sorted by 06:20 and I was on the road arriving in Bradford on Avon at 07:35. A few anglers were already there and I walked along to have a look at the river. It was a bit pacey but not dirty just a bit grey looking and still very cold with ice in the puddles on the path. Those of us that walked the bank agreed it would probably be chub or bust.

Walking along the canal to the Lock Inn it was completely frozen over and we were soon inside tucking into a decent breakfast with an open coal fire. Most came to the same conclusion......what are we doing here?

Sensas Nomads Team mate Mike Martin-Davies and I were almost at the back of the draw que and when I got to draw I notices all but one of the early pegs had gone which generally fish a lot better. Couldn't believe it when I drew peg 3 in the first 7 peg section. Not that I know much about the peg although I did draw it 2 years ago in the summer but much different today.

So a short walk to the peg and to be fair Mike and Colin (the organiser) stopped and suggested I go for chub across.
The peg is in a small copse with overhanging trees so a bit of pruning with a weed cutter soon cleared a few low hanging branches.



First thing I set up was a tip rod for fishing across with a small 20 gram cage feeder with a size 14 B520 to 0.13 for fishing bread discs and Liqqy. I also set up a crow quill for a just under halfway across and intended to loose feed caster over this line.
I was also told there were some big perch in this area so set up a 3 gram flat float to fish over chopped worm. I had just plumed up at 10 metres and was letting it run through to see what adjustments were needed when I hit a snag and lost the lost. It was now 10 minutes to the all in so decided to park the pole for the time being.

On the all in I did put 2 balls of ground bait laced with caster towards the middle and started off with a 10 mm punch across with the liqqy feeder. I made several casts in the first 15 minutes just to put some bread cloud and particles in the water before easing off a little. About 30 minutes in I had a rattle and a drop back bite which I missed. The same happened next put in, they were proper bites and I thought they may be roach hitting the large bread disc so scaled down to an 8 mm. Casting to the same spot the tip bent over within a minute and I was soon playing a big fish. It fought hard in the current and when I git it to the middle I was conscious about the snag where I lost the flat float earlier. I managed to guide it up stream and was glad I set up the 4 metre landing net. It was a great chub and must have been at least 5lbs. The fish was probably my best chub and I was shaking (with the cold and the experience).
Back out again with the 8 mm punch and I left it for about 10 minutes before the tip dropped back and another fish was on. This one was half the size of the first one and came in a bit easier.
I had another bite next put in but didn't connect.
No more bites were forthcoming on any lines for the rest of the match on any line, I even fed some choppy close in and put a straight lead over it with worm but nothing, the crowquil line was also barren.
A couple of bank walkers suggested it was fishing very hard with Kev Boltiz reportedly have 4 chub.

The scales came up from peg 7, the last peg in my section and 2lb 14oz was best, one chub which Nicky Johns had at 14:45, odd single chub had also been caught. Dave Baker above me on peg 2 said he had 2 chub and thought he might have 5lbs, I new my fish would go 6lb plus.



My fish went heavier than I thought and registered 7lb 6oz





I was please to win the section and my first pick up in this league. Gary Etheridge on the favoured peg 1 had 100 fish including a 12oz perch for 2lb 4oz, so definitely caught the most fish in the match.

The match was won by Chris Ollis with 4 chub for 10lb 8oz.
Second was Kev Boltz with 4 chub for 9lb 1oz.
Third was Steve Palmer with 8lb 4oz (chub)

So I think I was 4th out of the 21.

The Upper Avon is fairly new to me, only really fished it properly the last 6 months in the Winter League and this League but learning all the time.

Having a weekend off from fishing but will get out again midweek somewhere.



No comments:

Post a Comment