Tuesday 11 December 2018

Sunday 9th December - Sensas Bristol Commercial House Christmas Match, K & A Canal Bath

I have to say this was a good Canal Match especially as the outcome was a bit unknown due to it not being Match Fished since last March. As usual it was well organised by Nicola and Mike Goodhind plus Andy Britt.

24 people booked in, I think there were a few other matches on hence the low numbers. Sections used today were the Tunnels, ''Darlington and Bathampton. The draw was at the Crown in Keynsham and I saw a lot of anglers picking up bloodworm. I didn't order any as I thought it was necessary plus £25 to enter the match and cost of raffle tickets plus other costs (breakfast, fuel, other bait) versus potential pick up appeared unbalanced (more than normal).

I really did not want to be at Bathampton as its fished pretty poor over the years compared to other Sections, very few skimmers and the big perch seemed to have moved.
I was near the end of the draw que and pulled out 23.....Bathampton up near the bend....bollocks.
As it wasn't a team match I thought just go for it and fish positive.

There was no arranged parking with the George Pub at Bathampton as mike said we should be OK as only about 8 anglers were up that end.
I did park OK in a lane by the Church along with Andy Curry and Nathaniel Johnson but there was a sign saying 4 hours only. A local boat owner said it didn't apply on Sundays so we took a chance.

My peg was up in the ''brambles'' area, it used to be good here fishing right across for perch and the occasional chublet but as I said earlier it has had no form in recent years.

Plumbing up right across I had about 3 foot about half a metre out from the brambles and a good 5 foot plus down the track so set up to fish across with caster and worm at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock and the same down the track one a bread line and the other squat in ground bait to fish maggot or pinkie over the top.

In summary I had bites on all lines and baits but the best fish I had was a 8oz roach. The biggest perch I had was around 5oz and just kept picking up fish which went 20 to the pound. Even putting on half a lobby or dendra did not make any difference and to be honest I started to get bored. Shipping back parallel to the canal to avoid the bikers and walkers with an ounce fish did not seem worth it but I did persevere and weighed 4lb for my troubles. In my mini section of 5 young Andrew Cranston was best with 7lb 13oz, there were no skimmers caught as I predicted in our Section.

In the Section below us towards the Bathampton School Nathaniel John got his head down and had 12lb 8oz of small fish plus a small skimmer.

As I went back toward the van I heard that the Tunnels and Darlington had fished well with Skimmers showing. Back at the van there was no parking ticket so that was a relief.

On arrival at the Crown it appeared most people had a reasonable day. I spoke to Nicola who loves her canal fishing and was please to hear she managed a couple of good skimmers and bits for 6lb 3oz which gave her 12th overall.



Nicola with her catch today

The Tunnels gave the first 2 places overall with Dave Stiff having lots of skimmers for 18lb dead.


Dave with his 1st place hamper.

2nd place was filled by Steve Skelton with 15lb and 3rd Nathaniel Johnson with his 12lb 8oz.

4th was Jerry Pocock who had 10lb 10oz, I believe he was also in the Tunnels.

Former team mate Jack Jones managed 8lb 6oz for 5th place and that was after stripping off and going in to retrieve a couple of sections of his pole.....oh I wish there was a photo of that !



Andrew got his head down like he always does to win my Section

Here are the full results courtesy of Vince Lunn and the Sections are at the bottom.


So well down the list for me but my choice, could have fished shorter to catch more fish faster but stuck to my plan which didn't pay off but thats fishing.

Still, a very well organised and enjoyable day but give the parking situation in Bath I am concerned about the last two Commercial House Matches after Christmas with regard to access and parking for 48 anglers.

No fishing this weekend due to a late night on Saturday but Avon League match on Wednesday 19th at Melksham.




No comments:

Post a Comment