Sunday 30 December 2018

Friday 28th Dec - Roy Carter Memorial Glos Canal & Saturday 29th Dec - Blind Pairs Acorn Fishery

Roy Carter Memorial

Team mate Chris and I booked in for this match as we do like the Gloucester Canal, no really we do, there I've said it. I don't know of any other venue in the West Country that is as challenging, frustrating or soul destroying. There are other words that would suitably describe it but today is the Sabbath so no swearing.

The match was organised as usual by Steve Long and Dave Clapton who do a great job and things run like clockwork. Draw venue was the Widden Rugby Club and when we got there about 07:45 there was a good turnout. Steve said he had 50 odd booked in. We sat down chatting away to a few angling friends and before we knew it a que had already formed and we found ourselves right at the back.
Nige Evans turned up and jumped the que in front of us. I told him off and and he offered me his place. I think he said he didn't want the Hempstead Bend as it was boring watching the tip....hmmmm.

Pegging today was from Hempstead Bridge to the early 60's below the new Swing Bridge so just about every peg was in.
We shuffled our way forward to the draw bucket, Chris pulled out peg 8 and I had 10, the Hempstead Straight so we were both fishing for Section wins. I had seen and heard reports that the roach and skimmers were showing on the pole in this area and it was pretty mild so we could get a days fishing...!


My peg card indicated I had the ''Board'' or should that say ''Bored''?

As I walked down the newly tarmac towpath Chris was already at his peg setting up and he said there were a few fish topping in mine, I did see a few blips on the surface but when I got to the peg they stopped.


As you can see....lots of features

Steve Long came down and started to set up on peg 9 and told Chris and I to go easy on him.

I cast the straight lead out across and it was very shallow, you needed to come out about 3 to 4 metres from the far bank to find any depth. I intended to fish the bread feeder across on one line and a fishmeal one on another. The Canal was towing a bit right to left. At 13 metres it was about top 4 deep and just a bit shallower at 6 metres. I set up a 2 gram for 13 metres due to the tow and a 1.5 for 6 metres. 0.08 hook lengths on both to a 22 as I didn't expect any big fish.
Ground bait for the pole lines was Black Lake and Noire with a little mole hill soil. I mixed a bit of really fine chop and some dead pinkie for 13 metres and just dead pinkie at 6 metres.

Well I could go through the match hour by hour but no point as I didn't have a bite or indication on anything. I did try for the full 5 hours despite the lack of action as a couple of decent skimmers would have made all the difference. looking up and down the canal nothing was happening for the majority of the match.

The angler below me blanked as well, Steve had about 6oz and Chris 2oz, I think top weight along the straight was 4lbs but that was an exceptional weight compared to most.

Remember that man ''Nige Evans'' who jumped the que and also said the ''Bend'' would be boring...well he only went and drew 47 in the middle of the Bend and won the match with 27lb of bream!!!


Nigel with his winning bag and a pic of the late Roy Carter when he won a Riverfest Qualifier a few years ago.

Nigel told me he thought he had the entire population of Glossy fish in his peg as he had liners all day.

Another good peg came 2nd, peg 62. Nick Harris had a few bream for 14lbs.

Third place went to Chris Jones with 9lb 11oz of peg 41 on the end of the straight.


Ah well never mind always next time and £350 raised for the Stroke Association, well done to all.

For those fellow anglers who self harm ..... I believe The Creel tackle shop in Gloucester is running an open on the Glossy 27th January but you need to contact the shop to book in.


Clevedon Freshwater A C Blind Pairs

We used to run this match on Boxing Day but lately its been held on the first Saturday after Christmas. It has been held on the River Kenn but recently its been moved to a Commercial. 21 anglers booked in and they all turned up which meant of ease of working out the results etc one angler who would be on his own would have their weight doubled. There was enough cash to pay out the top 2 pairs after deducting peg fees I think it was £160 for 1st and £120 or thereabouts for 2nd. I drew 21 which is a bridge peg and was partnered up with a guy on peg 3, don't know his name as we held the match as an open to boost numbers.

The weights have been more sensible recently due to the cold weather etc so 70lb would be enough on a good peg I thought.

Well I did get a few fish but it was hard going with 4 small carp on the bread and a few silvers on the maggot for 11lb 4oz. Paul Faiers on the other side. of the bridge had 13lb. Our half of the lake fished really hard with Lance Tucker having the best weight of just over 24lb.

Mark Poppleton had a good day on Island peg 5 netting 84lb so with his partner being Lance Tucker they took the spoils. Regular framer in Clevedon Club matches this year Mark Bromsgrove had 64lb off open 6 and with his partner Lewis Walker contributing 3lb they done enough to take 2nd place.

Well thats it for me until next Sunday when we have the 5th Round of the Commercial House League on the K & A around Bath. Its forecast to get colder and it will be interesting to see how its pegged as theres not much parking or space along the Canal in the town.



Happy New Year all and tight lines for 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment