Monday 2 July 2018

Sunday 1st July - SW Super League Round 2, Bristol Avon, Staverton (between Bradford on Avon and Trowbridge)

Back to the finest restaurant in Trowbridge for todays draw..... McDonalds.

Sensas Nomads Team for today was....
Mike Martin-Davies (cpt)
Rich Whitmarsh
Mark Williams
Mike Withey
Chris Hook
Leigh Wakefield
Geraint Powell
and me

We were also fielding a team at Evesham on the same day, how good is that?

Mike also brought some nice new Sensas T Shirts for us as they are a lot cooler than the polo's. He did say whatever happens we will be the best dressed team if nothing else.
Prior to the draw I had to pay pools, contribution to the entry fee for the match, pay for the T shirt, pay Chris his share from winning the Angling Trust match last week and collect money from Leigh for the caster. Its all go.

Mike came back with the draw, we also had the scales. We had drawn 1, 13, 16, 32, 36, 43, 58, 69. Apparently the draw was forecast as absolute crap. I had fished the previous 2 Wednesday matches along with Mike and we thought 5lb would be a really good weight for points on the day. I won my section the previous Wednesday with 5lb 8oz, roach all caught on hemp.
Originally we were meant to have a couple of sections at Barton Farm but all the pegs were moved to Staverton due to a boating event. There would still be canoes coming up river as far as the railway bridge at Staverton for an hour or so and turning back, that was peg 13 and Leigh was on it. Mike was on 58 a peg that gary Etheridge has struggled on last Wednesday. I had peg 1.....I know, I know another end peg..but.. I don't actually draw, its usually Chris, but it was Mike this time.
Now I know I come from across the water...but let me tell you....I dreamt I would be on the peg. I told Leigh and he asked if I caught. I said I don't know because I woke up!!!

As I drove along the river I came across Rich, not sure what peg it was but it was clear it had not been fished and he was squeezed and I mean squeezed between 2 other pegs, really tight no more that 8 metres apart, absolute crap.
Got to my peg, last to arrive in the section and found myself next to James Carty.
The peg looked OK to be fair, lilies on the far side and a bit of flow at 11 metres. Plumbing up I found a top 4 set up was spot on as it was about 8 foot deep. 1 gram float to 0.10 hook length and a 20 hook was perfect. I also set up a waggler for across, a 6 metre whip with a hemp rig and that was it. Ground bait was a mix of frenzied hemp, sensas noire and sensas roach.
The peg was a little high of the bank so had to get in the water and set up the rigger platform, the long legs just about coped.


you can see how low my box is v the top of the bank

Fishing today was 11:00 - 16:00. On the all in I cupped in 3 ball of ground bait laced with hemp and cast at 11 metres and a few pouch fulls of caster across and loose fed hemp on the whip line. A grass snake swam across from the far bank and a cormorant dived in the lillies! Starting off at 11 metres maggot over the ground bait just to see what was about I had a roach straight away, only about 3 oz but a good sign. Then it was bleak, bleak, bleak. I was still feeding the other 2 lines all the time. I put on a tare and then hemp but no interest whatsoever. I cupped in another few balls of ground bait and picked up the whip. A couple of bits but nothing to write home about. Gave the waggler a go and had a few small barrel chub. Then the canoes started to come up river. I did persevere with the waggler in between them but after 30 minutes came back on the 11 metre line which was a good move. Fish had come to the ground bait and I caught on this line for the rest of the match, not fast and furious but some nice roach and little hybrids.  Continually feeding my ground bait mix laced with hemp and pinkie and maggot on the hook kept the fish coming although the last 30 minutes was a bit slow. I didn't loose a fish and just wish I had kept on that line all day, potentially could have done a lot better.

I was first to weigh and knew I had 5lb plus which was the target weight. Really pleased to weigh 7lb 3oz 8drms but knew I could have done better.


todays catch

James was next to weigh and said he had 400 bleak!


the photo does not really do it justice and he weighed 9lb 1oz

Our section was quite tight but I ended up with 4 points from a possible 6.


Driving back up the bank I stopped by Leigh on peg 13. It was really unlucky for some as not only had he had the boats turn in his peg he lost his number 6 section but went swimming and got it back. His 1lb 8oz was bottom in Section. I then caught up with Chris and he had done OK getting 3 points from 6.

Back at the Kings Arms pub where the results were held the rest of the team as predicted had some sorry tales, we had not done well overall.

Results as follows:

Sections, paying top 2 in each

A
James Carty P I Thatchers 9-1
Tony Goodland Sensas 88 7-6

B
Gary Cross Sensas 88 5-8
Buzzer GBV 5-0

Rich Chave GBV 3-9
Andy Ottaway P I Thatchers 3-1

D
Derek Jarman Sensas Lobbys 4-0
Alan Jones DGL 3-6

E
Kevin Abigail GBV 3-14
Ian Pauley P I Thatchers 3-9

F
Dave Micklewright DGL 5-12
Gary Etheridge GBV 3-4

G
Ruben Gurra DGL 9-15
Rob Randall GBV 7-5-8

H
Rich Hoskins DGL 8-10
Paul Purchase Sensas 88 7-11

Top 3 paid out..
1st    Ruben Guerra DGL 9-15
2nd   James Carty P I Thatchers 9-1
3rd    Rich Hoskins DGL 8-10

4th   Paul Purchase Sensas 88 7-11
5th   Tony Goodland Sensas 88 7-6
6th   Rob Randall GBV 7-5-8

I finished 7th or 8th out of 48

Teams on the day..

1st    GBV 
2nd  DGL
3rd   P I Thatchers
4th   Sensas 88
5th   Sensas Lobbys
6th   Sensas Nomads

Teams after 2 rounds...
1st    DGL
2nd   GBV
3rd    P I Thatchers
4th    Sensas Lobbys
5th    Sensas 88
6th    Sensas Nomads


The Evesham Team were unlucky. 17 teams entered, 6 would qualify. Senses Nomads finished 6th equal but on weight count back did not qualify. Captain Clive Branson finished 4th overall in the match with 9-14


decent catch at Evesham for Clive

Well that's it for me for a couple of Sundays due to cruising the Rhine, next match is the SW Super League match on the Huntspill 15th July.











1 comment:

  1. If you want information about UK Car Spraying in Bristol then please visit
    UK Car Spraying in Bristol

    ReplyDelete