Monday 16 July 2018

Sunday 15th July - River Huntspill ''knock up'' quick summary

Sunday 15th July was meant to be the 3rd SW Super League match which was to be held on the Huntspill but after the practice match on 8th July it was decided to push the dates back a week as it was World Cup Final Day and all eyes where on England making it. 
I was on a Rhine Cruise while the practice match was being run but was looking forward to the league match on the 15th when I would be back.
Before I go on ....team mate Andy Thomas won the Practice Match on the 8th with over 30lbs so well done to him.

Sensas Nomads have had some success so far this year......

  • Mike Martin-Davis has qualified for the Evesham Festival.
  • The Team just missed out on qualifying for the Team Event at Evesham (but having another go this weekend)
  • Chris Hook and I won the AT/CRT Canal Pairs Qualifier on the Gloucester Canal
  • Geraint Powell finished 3rd at Staverton on a Open
  • Andy Thomas won the Huntspill Open
I arrived back in the UK on the 12th July so was unsure where I would fish on the Sunday. Andy Thomas put out on Facebook that he would run a ''knock up'' on the Huntspill (North Bank) so I said I would come along. Only 6 in total and Andy sorted out the day tickets. We fished downstream from the famous Gold Corner pegs 37 to 42.

I had not fished this bank for some years but it was where the bream showed the week before. I drew peg 40. It was a hot day with little or no wind and bright sunshine.


Andy Jane was on end peg 37 where Andy Thomas had won the previous week and Derek Jarman was on the other end peg 42 but hadn't brought his Feeder Reels with him (I wasn't supposed to mention that). 
So....
Peg 37 Andy Jane
Peg 38 Chris Hook
Peg 39 Andy Thomas
Peg 40 me
Peg 41 Andy Richings
Peg 42 Derek Jarman

I set up 2 Feeder Rods (middle and across) plus 1 pole rig. Usual Fishmeal ground bait for Feeder and  Lake and Roach for the pole.
I did catch on the pole but the fish were relatively small. I did pick up some skimmers and a decent bream on the Feeder but only after coming down the middle instead of right across.

Andy on 37 was in to bream quite early and ended up with 10 of them for 31lb plus which was more than enough to win.


2nd was Derek on 42 who fished the pole most of the day and the whip now and again. He caught 3 bream on the pole with about 90 minutes to go for 14lb 6oz.


Next door Andy Richings caught bream on the Feeder and Waggler for 14lb 2oz.


I had a measly 5lb 6oz but should have come in closer earlier.


Chris and Andy tipped back and had about the same as me.

Looking forward to Sundays match and hope to get out on my local River Kenn tomorrow.









No comments:

Post a Comment