Monday 21 August 2017

Sunday 20th August - SW Super League Final Round Bristol Avon Newbridge

This was the final round of a 6 match series but with practice matches in between it took up almost every Sunday for 3 months. This is my 3rd year fishing it and I get a real buzz out of it. It does not happen all on its own so a massive thanks must go to the organisers namely Dave Micklewright, Mark Treasure, Mark Harper, Nicky Johns and Lance Tucker. In addition those that organised the practice matches Andy Jane, Lance Tucker and Kev Dicks. There are also many others working behind the scenes and not forgetting the hospitality provided at the draw venues....Gordon League Rugby Club in Gloucester, Laburnum House in Highbridge and the Riverside Pub Saltford.

We were a man down up until the Friday but then new signing for the Commercial House Winter League stepped in, Jack Jones. We also had Mosella Bathamptons Kev Dicks and Darren Gillman helping us out today.
We were one from bottom in the League so nothing to gain today as a team. Although we have had some good individual results we have been way off the mark as a team and its all about consistency and availability for our guys. Its a tough ask turning out every week from a small squad.

Chris done the draw as usual and we ended up with the following pegs.....
20 Chris Hook
32 Me
47 Sam
63 Geoff
77 Nigel
99 Jack
118 Kev
146 Darren

The river was clear again so a difficult match was predicted with small fish being the main target on the pole.
I walked down to my peg (32) with Geoff who was on 33 the previous week. I had fished this peg last year and only had a low weight off it helped by a decent skimmer.
Mark ''whippet'' Williams was on the peg I had last week and I gave him some info for what it was worth. He was the first peg in my section as was I the previous week and all the pegs below had done better. But that was then!

I was quite high off the water on my peg with only the bottom 2 rings of the keep net in the water. Plenty of cover across and looked inviting but the big Chub that used to frequent the far side no longer show.



It was top 4.5 deep at 13 meters were the flow was so same set up as last week a 2 gram for running through and a flat float same distance. A waggler and a feeder was also assembled. Ground bait was gros gardons and magic with a little black crumb.
Usual bombardment on the ''all in'' and out immediately with the pole. It was a difficult angle to fish due to the high bank and I missed too many early bites, on reflection I had a little too much line between the end of the pole and the float but it was a bit gusty at times. Roach started to come but only lasted 30 minutes or so and they were not that big.  I went out on the flat float early with half a dendra and had a 10oz skimmer followed by a perch about the same size then nothing. I fed a couple of small balls and loose fed caster and hemp over the top. Back on the 2 gram rig and running it through bumped a decent fish, probably a big perch. A few more small roach followed and then bumped 3 good fish one after the other. I became very frustrated and I quietly cursed to myself as I knew those fish would probably make the difference today.
I tried the waggler for about 15 minutes but the fish were the size of minnows, small chub and bleak.
Nothing on the tip either although I didn't really give it very long.
The flat float produced a few more small skimmers and by the end of the match I knew I had no more than 4lbs.
In fact it was less that but I wasn't last and it could have been a few more pounds if I had got my act together and not lost those fish, all down to me.


my section

I met up with Chris who was packing up on peg 20 and he had done just over 4lbs but done better than Dean Harvey on favoured peg 18!
Back at the Riverside the Teams started drifting back in and it was clear we struggled (again).
Points from a possible 7 were....
Chris 2
Me 2
Sam 3
Geoff 5
Nigel 3
Jack 4
Kev ? didn't come back
Darren 2 (but did not fish 146 due to a boat, ended up on a crap peg).

individuals on the day...

1st   Neil Richards DGL 19lb 9oz
2nd  Kevin Abigail GBV 12lb 2oz
3rd   Dave Clapton Sensas Lobbys 11lb 14oz

Teams on the day....

1st   DGL
2nd  PI Thatchers
3rd  Sensas Lobbys
4th   GBV
5th   Sensas Nomads
6th  Maver Cadbury
7th  Sensas 88

Top 3 Teams after 6 rounds...

1st  DGL
2nd PI Thatchers
3rd  Sensas Lobbys

Thats a fair result and these 3 teams dominate the league, we as a team find it hard to compete against the bigger squads but we will be back to have another go next year.

Next up for us is the Bristol Commercial House League starting 10th September on the Avon. I miss the first one as I get back from Ireland in the early hours that day.

No more fishing for me now until 3rd Sept when I will be in Arva, first day pleasure fishing then 5 days fishing the festival, prep almost done.







No comments:

Post a Comment