Monday 26 June 2017

Round up of 2 pleasure sessions and Super League Practice Sunday 25th June Bristol Avon Swineford to Jack Whites.

Since my last post I have pleasure fished the Gloucester Canal at Splatt (Frampton on Severn) on the 14th June and the River Kenn in Clevedon on Tuesday 20th June and fished Cadbury Anglings Thursday Evening match at Acorn on 22nd.

Steve Long put me on to the right peg on the Gloucester Canal and despite being a very hot day and a strong tow towards Sharpness I had a great morning fishing the pole at 13 metres where it was top 5 deep.


I did not fish on the ''glorious 16th" nor the weekend due to family commitments. Then it was the start of the heat wave but I did venture out early on Tuesday 20th but by 09:30 I had enough as it was too hot. I did have a bream around 6lb on the tip and a 2lb hybrid and a perch on the waggler but the fish were not that interested in feeding.

At the Thursday Evening Match I ended up 3rd with just over 70lb, 90lbs won it with 77lb second.

So on to the first river match of this season on the Bristol Avon between Swineford and Jack Whites and a practice for the 2nd round of the SW Super League on 2nd July.
The draw for the match was at McDonalds Weston Lock in Bath due to the Rugby Club in Saltford not being available, not sure why but fair play to Mark Harper for sorting it out as well as running the match.
I got there in plenty of time but my mind was on other things rather than fishing. I then had a phone call from Team Captain Chris Hook saying he was running late as his van suddenly stopped on the M5 but he managed to get it going again so I said I would pay his pools and get someone to draw for him if he did not make it. He then told me Dave Hoskin our recent signing from Gloucester and not sure where the draw venue was was lost. I did try to call him and talk him in but no answer. I believe he got frustrated and went home!
Chris made it in time for the draw and we both drew Swineford, Chris on 13 and me on 18. Now those familiar with Swineford would think peg 18 would be around the second field. Wrong I just kept going and going and ended up on Bitton Brook. A few years ago Bitton Brook would have been peg 33 ish so 50% of the pegs have been lost / not cut out. I walked most of the length with Mark Treasure who had loads of gear and we were both bollocksed by the time we got to our pegs (he was on 19) having to break down to get over the fences and foot bridge.
Given that the draw was at 08:30 ....got to my peg 10:10 for an 11:00 start.
As I was setting up Nigel Wyatt came past walking upstream, he had been sent the wrong way to his peg and was heading home or going to fish the Feeder Canal as by the time he had got to his peg the match would have started!
My peg did have a nice bit of flow but I noticed that the far bank tree cover was significantly reduced.  I sent up a window feeder, a topper and a waggler. I did consider the pole but ran out of time, something I now regret.


To cut to the chase I ended up with 8lb 11oz of chublets, roach, dace, bleak and perch. I caught on all my rigs but had no bonus fish. I had loads of bites but believe I would have had 15lb plus had I set up the pole. 
Like I said my head was not in the right place and I was thinking about the horrendous walk back.
Mark below me weighed 10lb plus and below him was an 11lb. Above me was a 9lb and a 29lb.
I believe Richard Chave won the match with bream for 30lb.

I cannot fish the match next Sunday as plans were made in advance of the date coming out.

In closing big congratulations to team mate Sam Johnson who has qualified for the Wychavon at Evesham after coming 2nd in Saturdays match from peg 33 with 11lb plus, the winner weighed 13lb plus with two late barbel.




One of the things that was troubling me has hopefully now been solved so onwards and upwards.

Hope to fish an evening on the Kenn this week as well as the last Cadbury Angling Evening Match on Thursday.




2 comments:

  1. Nice walk, I'm sure the river would draw some anglers back from the commercials if access was more angler friendly, and 5 foot high kissing gates don't help, plus we ain't getting any younger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spot on Tony. Lots were saying they would vote not to fish this stretch next year. It's a real pity as fishing is good. Still aching!

    ReplyDelete