Friday 24 June 2016

Sunday 19th June - Clevedon Club Match River Kenn.

This was the first match of the river season and I was really looking forward to it following my catch of 7 bream on opening day. There were only 10 booked in for this match which included a few new members which is good for the Clubs bank balance. I was surprised there was not a few more as we had a lot of interest at the back end of last season due to the river producing massive bags of roach. The bream that were being caught on the days prior to this match had been well published on Facebook.
I drew peg 3 which was a permanent peg down near the sea wall and was happy as it was also an end peg. My team mate and captain Chris Hook (new member on the day) drew next to me on peg 4. I think this was only the second time Chris had fished the river so he followed me down the road to a close parking area within the residential area which runs along the river path. We park in the 'Tynings' and you could not have got any closer to our pegs, 5 minute walk.
On arrival at the pegs there was a downstream wind blowing, despite this I still set up a waggler rod as well as the feeder and pole at 13 meters for down the middle. Chris next door just set up the feeder and pole.
On the ''all in'' I started on the waggler spraying caster and hemp to try and get a few fish in the next as there was the odd roach and chub topping. Chris on the other hand went straight on the feeder putting in a few casts first to get some bait into his selected area three quarters the way across.
The waggler proved a bit difficult due to the wind and after 30 minutes or so it went up the bank behind me and Chris had a couple of bream as well.
Out went the feeder towards a tree on the far side and just downstream with a small red worm and red maggot. A few casts later the tip went around and a good bream was on only to come off half way across. A few casts later and the tip flew around again, picked the rod up and it was solid with that thumping feeling indicating ... bream on. It was a good fish of around 5lbs so I was off the mark. Chris mean while had a added a few more! Another bream quickly followed for me, it was another good fish and more like 6lbs. Within 10 minutes I had another but lost it due to thick marginal weed to my left, it was my fault for not controlling it better. I added a few more perch, roach and eels but no more bream.
Chris ended up with 14 bream, 13 on the feeder and 1 on the pole and I knew he had won the day.


Chris with his fantastic bream catch of just over 71lbs


Gary Cross suffered a lot of liners on the day but ended up with over 45lbs


Bread and Whip expert Scott Smallwood was third with over 35lbs and included a nice hybrid


Club Chairman Steve Bonwick had over 18lbs for 4th including some nice skimmers


My 2 bream and bits went over 15lbs for 5th

The river fished really well on the day, fish responded to a number of methods, I will be looking to have a few outings during the weekdays over the coming months.
Great value for £20 senior and £5 for a junior which also includes the Bristol Avon, Swineford to Jack Whites.





2 comments:

  1. Lovely bags of bream mate :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great river Jamie but can also be very difficult this time of year.

    ReplyDelete