Monday 17 August 2015

Sunday 16th August - SW Super League Bristol Avon Newbridge

This was the 5th match in the series out of 6 and my first visit to the Avon this season. I do like the venue mainly because of the quality of the pole fishing, usually in deep water (top 4 or top 5) with a 1grm to 2grm float at this time of year. I knew the rain we had during the week would not make much difference in terms of level or colour so was expecting quite a tough match.
Back to 7 teams of 8 this week due to no made up teams like we had on the Gloucester Canal. Cadbury Angling boss Toby came out of semi retirement to fish, we had Glen back from the Tony Rixon short pole series and £100 better off plus Darren Gillman on loan from Bathampton to help boost the team.
The draw was done and we didn't get the scales or weigh sheets, on the face of it the draw was good with Darren drawing end peg 148, Don on 54 or there abouts, me on 67 and the rest OK ish.
I decided to stay put at the Rugby Club and walk as it was halfway (a long way) whatever end you came at it..
67 was a few pegs above the old Newton St. Low railway bridge and as I passed the pegs immediately below it they did look nice. On arrival at my peg the water was a long way down a steep bank so I had to get in the water which would mean shipping the pole back more or less vertical.

Peg 67 Looking down from the high bank

It was fairly cramped down there but not uncomfortable. I found it was top 4 deep at 9 meters so decided to stick with this line for the pole although in hindsight I should have set a rig up for 13 meters as well despite the issue of shipping back up the bank and on to the footpath. I also set up a maggot feeder rod and a wag for fishing shallow.
5 big balls went in on the 'all in' and as expected the float buried first trot down which resulted in a small roach. This was the pattern for about 20 mins, I was fishing caster on the hook but the size of the fish did not improve. It then went quiet so I put on a red maggot which resulted in a half hearted bite which I hit and it went solid and the No. 4 hollow elastic took off, I was hoping it was a bream but when I got it up it was a pike of around 5lb - 6lb which bit me off after 5 mins. I was loose feeding hemp and caster and within about 15 mins started to get some perch. A couple were around the 1lb mark and most welcome. I suppose about just over an hour had gone by and an angler appeared behind me as I was landing a small roach asking if I was catching. It did piss me off as I would not do that especially with the clear water and high bank. Another angler then came behind me soon after and stood on the sky line saying I was on a peg too close to the foot path above, ffs! what is it with some people or was it tactics, I hope not.
I tried the feeder and had a roach and a few bleak as well as a short session on the wag but decided to stick with the pole as I was getting the odd bite. The last hour was not good and cost me a few points and I bumped a few perch due to their hard mouths.
It turned out my section was pretty tight and apart from the 15lb odd weighed in by Andy Powell from the first peg below the bridge most anglers had a decent days fishing. I was disappointed that my 9lb 2oz only got me 3 points from 7 but still enjoyed the day.

My Section

Our ringer Darren Gillman had a good day on the pole weighing over 18lb of roach for 2nd overall. A Garbolino Blackmore Vale angler won the match, with 25lb plus of skimmers and a decent bream on the pole. Team wise although everyone had a reasonable day it was not good enough and we are in last place.
Next week back at Newbridge for the final round.

2 comments:

  1. A good weight from there Ivan. Not be a great area for a few years and the pegs below the bridge are all better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope for a decent draw on Sunday although in general weights were ok

      Delete