Monday 6 July 2015

It's been a while

It's been a while since I update the blog, not because I have not been fishing, I have been snowed under with work.

Early June I went down to Summerhayes to fish a Sunday open and ended up on Lilly, not good and only ended up putting 18lb odd on the scales, most struggled on the lake but Nick Harvey had 38lb plus in a corner peg fishing down the edge. I have learnt my lesson on this lake and will avoid the carp in future if I draw it again and concentrate on silvers as it's very difficult to compete with Sellicks Lake.

Mid June just before the River Season began Clevedon fished against Shiplake Anglers on our own Lake, Paddock at Acorn Fisheries and they whopped us. I had just over 44lb from peg 30 for 12th on the day out of 29 so not too bad. Dom Sullivan won with high 80lbs.

I fished the River Kenn a couple of weeks after the glorious 16th but only had a few perch and eels from the car park section on Kenn Road, others had also struggled but ther have been big weights in certain sections of between 50lb and 100lbs.

I have just come back from Ireland, flew from Bristol to Knock in the North West, only 50 minute flight and £50 return, bargain. Went with the wife and a couple of friends, stayed on a farm just outside Ballinamore with its own lake and basic spinning rods and boat supplied. Was talking to the owner and found out that the accommodation is used for the World Pairs Competition and.... only stayed in the same appartment as Steve Ringer, surely his skills have been passed on to me via DNA he left behind!

Door to the appartment

Inside

Inside

World Pairs signs from last Sept.

We managed to fix up a couple of spinning rods and bought a few extra lures, my friend Phil is a Shooting Instructor and was in his element catching small perch and jack pike, I manged quite a few as well and it was great fun for a couple of hours after tea before the pub called.


Phil with a couple of his fish.

Went to the West Coast for a day to a town called Ballina, famous for its salmon fishing and where they gave Jack Charlton fishing rights following his success with the Irish Team in the World Cup a few years ago.

This was the scene through the town stretch I counted 24 anglers all fishing the pools and weirs at £50 per day.

They even had salmon bunting hanging in the town.

It was a fantastic week but there was far too much water around for Phils liking but it did make him regular.

Can't wait for my next trip over in September fishing in Arva.

I did manage to get out for a few hours on Chew Sunday nights, had 1 perch on the fly, 2 missed pulls and did manage these two fine trout for 5lb 9oz.


Next Sunday we have a SW Super League match on the Huntspill, the 1st match was fished on 28th June when I was in Ireland, looks like 50lb won it from below Woolavington Bridge and Team appears not to have done that well but early days yet with 2 on the Gloucester Canal and 2 on the Avon at Newbridge to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment