Monday 14 April 2014

Thursday 10th April 1st session on Chew

I managed to get home from work a little earlier than usual so decided to go Fly Fishing for the first time this year. Barrow Tanks is just up the road from where I live (15 mins away) but can fish very hard with fish sometimes only responding during the last 30 minutes before dusk. Chew Valley Lake is only 20 minutes away and I had a lot of sucess there last year both from the boat and bank, the fish are a better size as well. So off to Chew it was and I got there just after 4 p.m. Its £16 to fish from the bank from 3 p.m. to dark and you can take 4 fish. I had intended to fish off the Lodge bank but due to the wind one of the Rangers suggested I go right around the far side on Wick Point. No idea where this was but managed to find it after a 15 min car journey stopping half way and asking for directions. When I got there the wind was up and more or less in my face and it was cold. Rangers advice was to fish a medium or sinking line with an Orange Blob and then Buzzers as droppers. One guy was leaving when I got there, he had 2 fish which were caught at 8.30 a.m. and then nothing all day...hmmmm. Another guy also turned up, he had been fishing at Blagdon Lake all day and caught 2 pike! He said he had not seen a trout caught. Ah well. After a quick chat discussing tactics he suggested I set up a flaoting line with a 15 foot leader and that way f the fish came up in the water I would just have to change the Orange Blob to a Booby. The water was quite deep close in so not much point in killing myself trying to cast out into a facing wind. I was fishing by 4.45 p.m. and had my first take just before 5, the other guy was walking the bank looking for a more sheltered spot when I hit into the fish (I think he was surprised). After a good scrape the rainbow was netted, and went 4lb 2oz on the salter spring balance, lovely and caught on the Orange Blob. I persevered in the cold wind, the other chap went home about 7 p.m. fishless, just after he went I moved down where he was (as it was deeper) and had a fish second cast, Orange Blob again and it went 3lb 4oz. By 8 p.m. I was too cold and it was getting dark so headed home. By 9.15 p.m. I had the fish cleaned and cut up into 5 portions, put in the freezer and had a shower. Chew is a great water and glad I made the effort. Here are the fish just before cleaning...


Might try and get back one evening this week, if not it's a Club Match on the Sedges Fishery Easter Sunday.

3 comments:

  1. See you on Sunday Ivan, no need to bring nets of any type either, they are supplied.

    It's always nice to get out doing various styles of fishing. Well done on catching supper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lee, looking forward to it. What depth is the lake?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Similar to Woodlands, maybe a foot/18" shallower on long pole line, I make my rigs topkit length. Water level is on the high side. So 7-8ft perhaps.

    ReplyDelete