Saturday 26 April 2014

Evening session on Chew Thursday 24th April

The weather was looking good for an evening session on Chew Valley Lake but untl you get there and due to the huge expanse of water and the surrounding mendip hills you never know until you get there. I arrived about 5:30 pm and it was reasonably calm from the Lodge Bank but I did fancy going back to Wick Point more or less opposite the Lodge and a 10 minute drive further around the Lake. Temperature was ok ish but soon drops so the deeper water at Wick Point would be an advantage.

I had fished there a couple of weeks a go with a floatng line and a 15 foot leader without any trouble so was surprised that on the retrieve I kept dragging in weed. I did persevere but after an hour took the orange blob of the point and put on a booby with 2 black buzzers as droppers fishing 'washing line style' and up in the water.

Second cast I had a take, missed it at first but had a second take immediately afterwards which I hit resulting in a very good scrap with a nice rainbow that went 2lb 15oz. The time was now just after 7 pm. No more takes until just after 8 pm when I had a take more or less at full distance which I was not expecting. The line tightened fully and a huge fish jumped out of the water, I estimate it to be around 5lb - 6lbs. Due to the tension and not being able to slacken off it broke the leader (8lb breaking strain). It was getting dark so no time to set up again. Two other anglers beside me blanked so I must be doing something right.


Here is the fish and the return. Ready for gutting and put in the freezer.

No planned fishing this weekend due to an all day wedding on Saturday with a late night unless I get out for another evening session on Chew on Sunday. Next match for me is Avalon the following Sunday.

2 comments:

  1. Credit card debt, auto loans multiple, toys and shopping was no big deal, until I find myself against the wall with only one income, thousands in unsecured debt and minimum payments that I could not fulfill. My goal is to bring about awareness of the current financial position and a useful tool to allow you to win like a boot camp, control of expenditure, so that you and your family not considered to experience the same stress and loss may be that mine has. If you have already hit this wall, or things seem hard, now is the time to act.


    For more info :-
    http://apaychecknofaxingloans.co.uk/
    http://apoundtillpaydayonlinecash.co.uk/1000-pound-loans.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good read as always mate.will be doing my first ever fly fishing trip on the 21 st, hope im as fortunate as yourself

    ReplyDelete