Monday 20 May 2013

Sunday 19th May - Hawkridge

I could have gone to a Clevedon Club Match which was being held on Woodland Lake at Trinity Waters but needed a bit more time to re-elasticate some of my top sets and tie some rigs, I have not done that well on this venue either for about a year and you do get some venue experts join the Club simply to fish a match here. I know Paul Nicholls (long time Club member) won the match with 153lb so well done Paul.
Kev Perry another Clevedon Club stalwart does a bit of fly fishing in and out and had mentioned to me before about Hawkridge Res which is run by Wessex Water and located just outside Bridgwater near Spaxton, I had been meaning to get to it for some time now so decided to pay a visit this weekend. There were up to date reports on their website along with current successful methods. If you are interested here is the link to the site, an informative video can also be viewed.

http://www.wessexwater.co.uk/recreation/threecol.aspx?id=538&linkidentifier=id&itemid=538

After a 45 min journey I arrived via sat nav at just before 09:00, the Ranger was in the Lodge so I gleaned soe more info from him, basically orange blobs, buzzers and diawl bachs fished just below the surface was the 'in' method.



orange blob


buzzer


diawl bach

While I was talking to him there was a small competition going on (8 anglers) just in front of the Lodge and one of the guys landed a fantastic rainbow of 9lbs plus, happy days could not wait to get started.

I was directed around to a part of the lake, the opposite end of the dam where I could park and simply step over a small wall. There was a fair bit of marginal weed but luckily I brought waders so this was easy to overcome. I set up a floating line with a 15 foot leader, orange blob on the point and a diawl bach as a dropper. After about 20 minutes I had my first pull which I missed, then another on the same retrieve so things looked promising. There were a few other anglers around but I only saw one fish being caught, anglers walking the bank reported that the fish were being very fickle and many had not caught, a boat with 2 anglers also were blanking after 3 hours.



This is where I started


I decided to move around to the bank opposite the Lodge, this was the wider part of the reservoir.
I walked up the far side and decided on a spot more or less opposite the Lodge, a few fish were rising as well, the first ones I had seen in any number.
A few casts with the blob and diawl bach did not produce anything and the were still rising so I tied on an ornage booby on the point and a buzzer replaced the diawl bach.

orange booby
This would ensure the flies were kept up high in the water. Afer about 4 casts I had my first fish, caught on the booby, it was now just after 12:00. 4 more followed at intervals during the afternoon, my last one coming at 16:00, the last 4 were all caught on the buzzer. I also had a number of takes which I missed but I had a great afternoons sport. 5 is the limit here and there is no catch and release.


my limit bag on the 1st visit to Hawkridge

I weighed the fish on return to the Lodge, top individual fish was 3lb 8oz and the total weight for all 5 was just under 15lb so not bad. I will return soon, it's a great setting with good bank access.
So... trout for tea this week, neighbours have also benefited.

Not sure where I will go this coming weekend but will venture out somewhere, need to sort out the elasication of the top 2's this week.

Good to be back.


No comments:

Post a Comment