Monday 8 August 2022

Sunday 7th July - King Sedgemoor Drain Open

 I had planned to go to Evesham but due to the Battle of Evesham Festival there were no matches there this weekend.

Paul Purchase had posted that the Super League Practice Match on the KSD was an Open so I booked into that along with team mates Chris Hook and Andy Thomas. We are not in the Super League this year.

I rarely fish the KSD, its a cracking venue and full of fish, access is also very good with flat walks.

Breakfast was at the 37 Club in Puriton and when I arrived nice and early I found that 27 had booked in. I was expecting more as 48 anglers fish the League. Chris "Gappy" Parr was in charge today.

3 sections of 9 today, one above Parchy Bridge, one below and one above Bradney Bridge.

The pegs immediately above Parchy Bridge are usually the best ones as are the ones below.

I drew peg 42 which was one from the end above Bradney, Chris and Andy were next to each other above Parchy. I felt I was the right end of the section but an end peg would be more favourable.

Parking at Bradney is fairly limited now due the the expansion of the Water Depot but with only 9 of us parking there it was OK.

When I got to my peg the inside was full of duckweed but a few scoops with the landing net soon had that sorted.


I was way down the bank again so shipping back with the pole would be at shoulder height.

I put a worm line in to my left but never went over it. Set up a cage feeder but never picked it up.

I basically used a hemp rig all day fishing at about 3 foot deep.

At the start I put a single ball of Sensas Lake and Gardons in at 5 metres but only had 2 very small roach over it.

Mark Broomsgrove who was on the end peg below me shouted up after 15 minutes asking if I had any bites, I replied 2 and he said he had 8 fish.

There were lots of small fish topping so I had a look on the light hemp rig (0.3 gram) with caster on the hook over where I had been pinging in hemp.

A nice rudd straight away which I netted.

It took a while to get into a rhythm and shipping back above me all the time was knackering. Finally I got it sorted and put a few casters in with the hemp. I soon had the fish lining up and caught some nice roach along with a few more rudd.

The wind changed direction and was blowing upstream so the duckweed that's down by Bradney Bridge came with it.

It was a bit of a pain on the light rig and on reflection I should have changed to a heavier one with an Olivetti to get through it.
When the rig went through it though I caught a silver bream which are good little weight builders. I think the duckweed provided a lot of cover for the fish.

The weed was more or less straight down the middle, the photo doesn't really reflect how bad it was.



Charlie Vallender was upstream of me and towards the end I could hear him casting out a waggler, probably to fish beyond the duckweed over to the far bank.

Come the end and given the conditions I had an enjoyable days fishing and guessed I had double figures.

The scales came down and I weighed 4kg 600 (just over 10 lbs in old money). Charlie above me done 5kg and Mark had the best weight in the section with just over 7kg. I was equal 3rd with Gappy.



Thanks to Kev Dicks for the photo

I didn't go back to the results. 

If I fished it again I would set ups heavier shallow rig as well as a waggler, it won't be much different when they fish the league match next week

I found out when I got home that Liam Braddell won the match with 7kg 300 the 2nd peg up above Parchy, Mark below me was 2nd and Charlie 3rd so double default pick up spilt between myself and Gappy. He was paying top 2 in each section £40 and £20 so we had £30 each.

Paul Faiers picked up mine and brought in around in the morning, I gave him 4 paste floats which he didn't expect me to have lol.

It's up to Evesham on Wednesday and a Club Match on Durleigh next Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment