Thursday 23 December 2021

Tuesday 21st December - Acorn Fishery Open (aka a look on the dark side)

Those of you who follow my blog already know that I rarely visit a Commercial Fishery. I used to mix and match it a bit at Club level but since moving on to Team Fishing quite a few years ago I decided to concentrate on running line plus Canals.

Prior to lockdown last year I had tied a few Commercial Rigs and kept them  in a lunch box. I only got to use them once before lockdown came in and was second in the match at Acorn with a low weight on a cold day.

A few weeks ago I went back again and concentrated on silvers, I came second.

I decided to book in again this Tuesday and contacted Mike Chapman to book in. Mike told me I wouldn't need much bait as the winner on Sunday came from peg 5 with 70lb plus, 74 I think.

I was there in plenty of time and Mike aided by Eddie Wynne were master of ceremonies sorting out the draw masked up in line with Fishery Rules inside the cabin.

Clevedon Club mates Kev Perry and Paul Faiers also turned up as expected and we had a good old moan about our Christmas match on the Kenn a couple of days ago.

22 booked in and paid, its only £13 so you won't get rich on the winnings. The match on Tuesdays is an Open and generally well attended by regulars who are retired, self employed or skiving lol.

The Acorn Tackle Shop is open every day from 07:30 so fresh bait is available. I only topped up with half a pint of fluro pinkie. A small Warburton's Toastie Loaf was picked up from my local garage on the way as well ( I had plenty of maggot and worm plus half a tin of corn). 

The temperature was 4 degree's on arrival and it would not rise much above that all day.

The draw got under way and I was given peg 5, well you should have heard it ... lol ......

Despite the winner coming from it a couple of days ago (with carp) I was planning to fish for silvers so what do I do now.

Paul and Kev were on pegs 6 and 7. Fair play to Paul he walked over on the Island with me to the peg and pointed out where to fish for silvers or right across for carp. There are 5 pegs on the Island and all of them were in for some reason. The good thing was I was end peg with plenty of room to my left, peg 8 was not in.

A certain Mr Des Shipp was also fishing so know pressure, Des was over on peg 17, he usually does very well on this venue.

I did mix up some Sensas Black Lake for one silvers line and potted in a ball with caster and pinkie on the all in. My two other silver lines had loose fed pinkie and just finely chopped worm, all top 2 plus 3.

Before I finish baiting up young Freddie Clarke was netting a carp on peg 4.

I then went across at 13 metres towards the corner of the Island fishing bread (6mm punch) in 3 foot of water. I got an indication straight away and soon had a foul hooker on. A bit of a beast but I did land him. A big common of around 7lbs.

I was on 0.11 power line hook length to an old Preston 434 16 but the 11 elastic more than compensated the runs the fish took.

The float went under again right across and this time it was properly hooked. I calculated I had around 20lb in the first hour so on track for a decent weight. On the odd occasion when I did look around I couldn't see that much being caught.

I put a little bit more bait on my silvers lines though just in case.

Back over with the bread and a Carrasso was hooked, these count as silvers and come in really easy. A few more carp followed some caught on the bread, some on a corn skin but lost a few as well due to being mould hooked.

Trying my silvers line out in front with pinkie I was surprised to catch a small tench, gave it another 10 minutes but no indications. Tried by other 2 silver lines and nothing. That was it I was forced to continue to fish for carp.

I had a big skimmer on the bread plus a decent crucian.

My arms were aching on the all out, Paul and Kev reckoned I'd done enough to win.


I had, 70lb 4oz (part of my catch above)

Here are the weigh sheets.....



Thankfully Des decided to fish for silvers due to the peg he was on, had he been on mine he would have emptied it as would most of the regulars on here but as Paul said a win's a win.

Paul came second in the silvers and Kev sixth overall.


Next up is the Roy Carter on 28th Dec Gloucester Canal.



No comments:

Post a Comment