Wednesday 10 November 2021

Tuesday 9th November - Tuesday Tenners Open, Acorn Fishery Kingston Seymour near Clevedon

 During the week I usually fish somewhere on a Wednesday but this week I promised to go up my daughters and help her prepare to move house.

I was thinking of fishing the River Kenn but the tide was all wrong in order to get a full days fishing.

In the end I decided to book into the Tuesday Open at Acorn Fishery, yes it's a Commercial which I rarely visit but I do fish the odd match here over the winter period. I also made the decision to simply fish for silvers and planned just to use left over worm, pinkie, maggot and caster from the weekend. Plus the fact I'm not that familiar with carp fishing.

The draw was from 08:00 - 08:20 and Eddie Wynne was in charge. 

When I turned up I got the usual response .... are you lost, there's no flow here you know etc etc....

It's a very friendly crowd and 21 were booked in.

Quite a few would be going for the carp as they are regular slayers and fish here quite often but I did think I could compete for the silvers.

I already had a box of Commercial rigs made up and a wallet of barbless hooks that I made up just before the first lockdown.

Eddie pulled me out peg 2 on the Island, I also had the scales and board as peg 1 was not drawn. 

I know its a decent peg for carp but that didn't matter to me as I was already committed to go for silvers.

Even though I have fished here before I have never been on the Island. Plumbing up I had around 3 foot at the bottom of the far shelf straight in front. 11:00 at 11 metres it was a little deeper so put on another rig. I plumbed up another line 6 metres in front of me and it was just slightly deeper again so another rig. All the rigs were 4 x 14's with 20 hooks to 0.11.

That was all the lines I was going to fish as any more just confuses me.

A decent pot of chopped worm and caster went in neat on my 11:00 line, one ball of black lake with caster and pinkie in at 6 metres and one ball of black lake, chopped worm and pinkie at the bottom of the far shelf.

First put in across I only had to wait a few minutes for my first roach which was about 6 ozs. In the next 30 minutes I had a few skim bobs and a couple of stockie carp which are only a few ounces. I re-fed the bottom of the shelf and went on my 11:00 line. Another decent roach and a small skimmer but that slowed pretty quick so put a little more worm and caster in.

Having a look at 6 metres for the first time produced more roach and skimmers plus a 6lb carp which I landed on a No.6 elastic but not what I wanted.

I felt things were going along nicely but I could see Paul Faiers across on peg 18 net what looked to be decent skimmers on a regular basis.

On my second look at 11:00 the float went under quite quickly and I hooked what I thought was a carp and it raced off. I managed to turn it and got it under control. I was surprised to see it was a tench and a decent one at around 3lbs. The light elastic stopped it smashing me up and I was quite relieved to net it, back in contention I thought. I put another bit of choppy and caster in on that line and went back in the middle catching a skimmer. 

It was one of those days when you could catch a couple of fish, re-feed, rotate to another line, catch, re-feed etc but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I had another 2 tench from the 6 metre line and lost one.

I weighed 15lb 4oz which got me 2nd in the silvers. Paul won the silvers with 16lb 11oz mainly made up of carrissio carp which count as silvers, never seen these before.

So happy enough with that result.

Fellow Club mate Kev Perry won over all with 75lb of big munter carp.


No comments:

Post a Comment