Sunday 3 October 2021

Sunday 3rd October - Newbridge Open

 Dean Harvey assisted by Derek Coles kindly ran this match on behalf of Ben Rendall as he is away fishing in Ireland.

With much needed rain forecast during the days before it was going to be an out and out bream match so only packed 2 feeder rods and a long rod just in case.

I stopped off in McDonalds at Emery Rd for a coffee and a breakfast roll. Just after I ordered a couple of Deliveroo Drivers came in asking for their orders only to be informed by the young manager they were not ready and it all kicked off despite the manager saying he had only 3 staff on duty. For such a young person I think he handled it well and yes they had to wait but moaned the whole time in broken english, it was quite entertaining really but I didn't let it show.

When I arrived at the Pump House at Newbridge a few anglers were already there. I spoke to Dean who said he had 21 booked in and he had spread the pegs out between the Little Field and the Norfolk reeds so some would have a bit of a walk. 

I was about 3/4 way in the draw and pulled out 39 which is not a bad peg. For the second time in as many weeks Mike Weston was below me on the next peg (46). We had plenty of time as fishing was 10:45 - 15:45.


As expected I was ready with an hour to spare, I didn't bother with the long rod. One feeder rod had a 30 gram on it and a 1 metre hooklength, 0.16 to a preston size 14 N50 hook. I set the other one up as well with a maggot feeder and a size 16 hook in case I wanted to go under the trees looking for chub.
I was well prepared today with 1.5 kilo of worm, 2 pints of caster, 1 pint dead red, hemp and live reds.

With 50 minutes to go I took a walk down to Mike who was still setting up. He had a waggler set up plus a pole and feeder. He also had a lot of space between him and the next angler downstream. The river looked spot on for bream but would they feed?

It was nice to fish as an individual and not for a team, it was all or nothing for me today.

On the all in I started casting 3/4 the way across every few minutes and put plenty of loose offerings in my mix of dark f1 and sensas river. After 20 minutes I started to get the odd little rattle on the worm and maggot hook bait and soon found out it was perch. I had a few all around the 4oz mark.

As the end of the first hour was approaching the tip bent over and it was bream on, it took 3 casters. It did feel a good fish but I'll never know how big it was as the hook pulled out went I got it down the inside.

"oh dear" I said to myself......

I kept putting the feeder down the same hole with generous amounts of particles and at 14:00 I was into another bream on a small piece of chopped worm and maggot. I landed this one and had another the following cast! I was expecting another few but it didn't happen.  I did foul hook a big bream and got it to the net before the hook came off its belly.

With 10 minutes to go I had a big drop back and hooked into what I thought was the bottom but then it started to move. it stayed deep and I was thinking barble, carp or a big pike. It went downstream at pace but I managed to turn it and get it to the top, it was a massive eel. Netting it was a bit hairy as it was in the net then out, back in then out etc etc. I did manage to net it but due to the steep bank and distance to the water it nearly came out on the the way up.
By the time I had sorted it out and put it in the keepnet it was the end of the match.

I was assisting Mike weigh in from 46 to 24 so packed up quickly. 

Mike had a great day catching 8 bream and some bits which weighed 38lb 13oz.


Mike with a smile on his face.

I thought he would frame with that today so was hoping I beat the others in the section for a default section win.


My net went 11lb 08oz if you zoom in you can see the big eel (top left in the net).

My bag was the next best in the section but didn't know if Mike would frame.


My section board



When I got back to the Pump House were the cars were parked the Farmers son was kicking off about the parking on his field. The parking was no different to what it has been for years and its only a bit of ground which nothing grows on. I think he was cheesed off as someone (not an angler had driver right across his field. Dean handled it pretty well and parking is permitted in future but not on his side of the concrete path.

It turned out the section below me fished really well with Andy Richings having a great 75lb plus from peg 50.


Andy with part of his catch



2nd was Warren Bates with 39lb 07oz and Mike Weston was 3rd so section win by default (again).

John Tocknell was 4th with a great mixed bag weighing 32lb 15oz including a big roach.


John Tocknell.

Here are the other two section boards, great fishing.....


Little Field


End Section downstream






Next week is Round 4 of the Commercial House League at Newbridge so lets hope we get some more rain to keep the colour in the river and perhaps less angry people about!




1 comment:

  1. Great read as always Ken from cary
    Love the odd big eel

    ReplyDelete