Sunday 12 April 2020

Lock Down - My time with Clevedon & District Freshwater Angling Club




It was back in February 2008 that I joined Clevedon Freshwater Angling Club. At that time the annual membership ran from 1st April - 31st March. I joined at one of their matches which was being held on the Main Lake at Plantation Fishery Kingston Seymour just outside Clevedon.

To be honest I was informed at my local tackle shop that it was an Open. I had phoned the Match Secretary who was Barry Fowler at the time to book in but when I turned up I was questioned regarding my membership. My explanation was accepted and I paid the principal sum of £3 for the rest of the year (31st March).

I didn't really do any good in that match as it was the first time I fished the place. The next month they had their final match of the season on the River Kenn in Clevedon (aka Blind Yeo). I had only fished the Kenn a few times but never at that time of year when the EA drop the level to around 3 foot and you have to stand above the knee in mud.

I drew about 4 pegs above Strode Road bridge and had a good day weighing in 12lb plus for 2nd in the match. I caught big roach, a tench and a bream on bread using the bread feeder and big flakes in conjunction with a waggler.

The Clevedon Club had a really good Match Programme which is why I joined them in the first place. There were on average 2 matches a month covering Commercial Fisheries as well as natural venues. The matches were well attended but were also very competitive especially on the Commercials.

A lot, in fact I would suggest all of the Sensas Thyers Match Team were also members of the Clevedon Club and would regularly feature in the top places. Commercial Fisheries although not totally new to me did initially present a steep learning curve but over the years I did do quite well learning from others.

When I went to the Clubs AGM in 2009 I ended up on the Committee and then attended the bi-monthly meetings that followed. I supported the Club by attending the vast majority of their matches and done my share of swim clearing on the Kenn.

The Clevedon Club had only the Fishing Rights on the Kenn when I joined but were also part of the North Somerset A A basically an association with Highbridge AA gave both Clubs access to each others waters. Highbridge AA had Apex Lake and Walrow Ponds I believe plus a stretch of the River Brue.

This relationship seemed to work well but then Highbridge AA decided to breakaway, why I am still not sure and at the time I didn't think the Clevedon Club worked hard enough to keep the partnership going.

I started doing my Blog in 2012.  Roundabout this time at the Clubs AGM when Officers were being proposed and elected it came to the role of Press Officer. Usually this position comes with the job of Secretary. I can't for the life of me remember who the Secretary was at the time but I volunteered to become Press Officer because I attended most if not all of the matches. I was promptly accepted into the role without any debate! There was little or no promotion of the Club at the time I took this role on.

Within a few weeks I sent in my first Press Report to a local paper the Clevedon Mercury, now called the North Somerset Times. It was a hard cold day down at Woodland Lake Trinity Waters on the outskirts of Bridgwater and I had actually won the match.
After sending it in I knew you had to wait a week or so for it to be published, that's if it got past the editor. A few days into the following week I had a phone call from the Match Secretary Barry Fowler all excited... Ivan, Ivan you've got half a page in the paper.


I was pretty chuffed but we only got half a page because most of the other sporting events were cancelled due to the weather. Angling Times and Anglers Mail also published the report.
The rest is history and I have been doing the press reports up until the present day.

The Club was offered Paddock Lake at Acorn Fishery on a 3 year lease which was voted through. We paid quite a bit for the lease and we were responsible for maintaining it as well plus running matches and collecting peg fee's. I found that it was the same few people putting in the time and effort painting bridges, repairing pegs and cutting grass. I was glad when the lease came to an end.

We also bought 4 acres of land in Portishead with a view to digging our own Lake, we still have the land and the dream is still there. We went down a partnership route with Portishead Town Council and a Developer in conjunction with other plans for the town. Myself and a couple of others spent many hours at meetings including full public meetings discussing the plans. Lets just say it didn't happened and thank goodness we were cautious.

In 2018 I was approached to become the Secretary which I accepted.

Since then I designed a modern website for the Club which was built by the son of one of the Committee  https://clevedon-fwac.co.uk  our Facebook page  Clevedon FWAC  has also been overhauled and I keep them up to date.

Last year I went through a lengthily process with the EA in order to get permission to place a number of Fishing Platforms along the Kenn. Numerous hoops had to be jumped through as well as getting prices to have the work done. The EA own the land and the final decision rests with the EA Estates Team. Believe me it's not that straight forsward when you border a triple SS1 area.

As Secretary a lot of work has been done with the EA Fisheries Team regarding stocking and access.

It's a busy role but one that I enjoy and this year my efforts and contribution to the Club has been rewarded with a Life Membership so looks like I'm in it for the long haul.

Stay safe all.


2 comments:

  1. Another great story. Didn't realise R. Kenn was same as Blind Yeo, you learn something new every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's also called other names especially when it fishes hard lol

    ReplyDelete