Tuesday 23 July 2019

Sunday 21st July - SW Super League Round 4, Bristol Avon Chippenham and Staverton

I found myself being Captain today, probably because I always have a pen.

Team today was ....
Mike Martin
Clive Roberts
Chris Hook
Mike Withey
Stretch
Rich Whitmarsh
Sam Johnson
Me

Draw was at Spencers in Melksham again so everyone had to travel a few mile.

4 sections at Staverton and park behind your peg and 4 at Chippenham from Westinghouse Drain to Town Bridge.

We were about halfway in the team draw and Sam, Clive, Mike W and I were at Chippenham.
Stretch in the early pegs at Chippenham, Mike a few pegs away from where he was last week (peg 42), Chris in Monkton Pk, and Rich in the last section.

Sam and Clive followed me to Staverton which was about 15 minutes away. I was on 16 above the railway bridge which is quite deep, full top 4. It looked ok to be honest and there was a little bit of flow after the down pour on the Friday.


I set up a 0.6 gram to 0.08 and a 20 plus a 1 gram to 0.09 and an 18 to fish 11 metres out over gardens and noire laced with hemp, caster and dead pinkie.
My inside perch line was about the same depth so set up another 1 gram rig to 0.12 and a 16 to fish worm over choppy.

Given the over head bushes I decided against setting up a Waggler as the wind was an upstreamer and likely to get stronger so set up a feeder but never used it.

It took about 15 minutes to get my first bite on the caster but a nice roach at that. A few more followed but it was not manic and for some reason I couldn't get a bite so switched to pinkie and that brought the bites back. After and hour I thought I had about 1lb but not worried at this stage. A look on the inside worm line produced nothing, I think it was too deep for the perch and there were no lilies and reeds.

Gudgeon put in an appearance on the pole which is not always good as far as I am concerned. The wind got up as well and it was hard work.

I ended up with 3lb 1oz for 2 points from 7, pretty poor really. My section was won by Paul Purchase from peg 29 (big chub peg) who had 2 of the big boys and lost 2 plus bits for 10lb odd.


Paul with his catch ( I have enhanced the photo as much as I can, just don't let the kids see it)

I met up with Sam who had managed 2nd in his section with 5lb plus, 13lb won his section.

We got back to Spencers and found that Rich Whitmarsh pulled off a miracle in the latter part of the match to win his section with a late bream.
Mike Withey also done well with 5 points from 7.

One of the strangest things that happened though was Andy Ottaways misfortune. While he had gone down the bank to catch up with the scales I think, he left his net in the water only to return finding it up the bank and fish gone!

Individually Chris Parr won the match with 58lb of bream, 17 in all from the oak tree down cyanide straight at Chippenham.


Chris Parr with part of his catch

2nd was Gary Etheridge with 19lb of bream from peg 40 at Chippenham which must have surprised him as its a chub peg.
3rd was Charlie Vallender with 16lb from Staverton.

Teams on the day....
1st   DGL
2nd  GBV
3rd   Sensas 88

We were 6th from 7.

Ah well, 2 matches to go, both at Newbridge in a few weeks time.

Staverton tomorrow (Wed) and on Sunday I am having a dabble on Port Talbot Docks which is a new venue for me but looks incredible.





No comments:

Post a Comment