Thursday 16 March 2017

Sunday 11th March - Don Sutherland memorial match Viaduct Fishery Somerton

Team Captain Chris Hook organised this match in conjunction with Viaduct Fishery in memory of our Team mate Don Sutherland who passed away unexpectedly almost a year ago. Viaduct was the last match he fished exactly a year ago. This match was silvers only (silvers fishing was Dons favourite) and 50 anglers turned up which is fantastic for a Saturday.
Prior to the draw Chris said a few words and we all had a minutes silence, Dons family would attend later but his son was there from the start.
I don't fish Viaduct or any other Commercial but Fishery owner Steve Long remembered me from way back when he bought the lakes as I organised a few Post Office Angling Club matches there in the early days. I found myself drawing 56 when it came to my turn to dip my hand in the draw tin. 56 was right in front of the tackle shop on the lawn. Fellow blogger Chris Fox told me 17lb of silvers had come off it the previous week, I thought I would need more than that today.
Plumbing up I could hardly believe how shallow it was, fairly even on all pole lines up to 13 meters and the waggler at around 25 meters.
No pellet was allowed today so I had caster, corn, maggot, pinkie and some worm.
At the all in I started on the waggler with corn after feeding two pole lines spraying caster over the top. I did have some indications put nothing positive.
It took me ages (probably around an hour) to get a proper bite on the waggler with red maggot and it was a decent perch of around 1lb plus but no more. Trying the pole lines it was also quite although Rowland Lucas on 59 was having a good day fishing about 9 meters catching big skimmers as well as carp which had to be put back.
It was a long 6 hours and I was kinda glad when the all out was called. I did catch some skimmers but they were small and ended up with under 6lbs. Sitting around a pond looking at other anglers is not really my scene but I think I should have done better and perhaps fished closer in. I will be there for next years event

Spring Lake fished well with all of the top weights coming from it.
Leading the way was Mark Saunders with 49lb plus.

Don's Mum and Dad, his wife and brother attended the match just before the finish and greatly appreciated the turn out in Don's memory, this will be an annual event.

 


Above - Mark with his winning bag and being presented with the Don Sutherland Memorial Shield by Don's wife and brother.

1st   Mark Saunders 49lbs 8ozs
2nd  Stu White  42lbs 9ozs
3rd  Gabe Skarba 39lbs 11ozs
4th  Shaun Kittridge 39lbs 9ozs
5th  Jess Jordan 33lbs 12ozs
6th  Ryan Shipp 32lbs 3ozs

We do miss Don especially his match analysis but this match will ensure his memory lives on.









No comments:

Post a Comment