Monday 23 January 2017

January, sick and tired you been hanging on me...la la la

January did get off to a good start when I had a good day on the K&A canal on the 8th with a Section and Team win in B Div of the Bristol Commercial House League (earlier Blog covered this).

I did go out on Wednesday the 11th Jan with Mike Endicott for a pleasure session on the River Kenn above Kenn Road bridge. Conditions looked perfect for some roach on the bread but after 3 hours we only had one fish each. They must have been shoaled up tight in another section but hard to say where.


my only fish and bite of the session and the beginning of a trend...

Sunday 15th January saw me book in to the Clevedon Clubs match on the Main Lake at the Plantations fishery Kingston Seymour as as I could not find a non commercial fishery match. Only 10 booked in. I drew peg 4 and having seen Kev Perry fish the peg before in winter just set up 2 lead rods to fish to the island with bread, corn, dead reds. I only had one carp and two roach. Press report and pics in the blog below this one.

Wednesday 18th and another pleasure session with Mike Endicott. The tide was wrong for the Kenn and the Tone was low and clear so we decided to try the Main Lake at Plantations for some silvers. When we arrived they were doing maintenance work so we went onto the adjacent Horseshoe Lake.
I had not fished it for ages and Mike had not fished it at all. We decided on a couple of pegs on the outside down the right hand side. Long story short....... Mike had 20lbs plus of big skimmers, I had 3 bites and did not hit any of them. the only difference in the pegs was that Mike had a gap in the sunken island where he fished, everything else we did was identical, nothing I could do about it.


Nice bag for Mike.

  • Sunday 22nd January - Bristol Commercial House League final round K & A Canal, Meadow Farm to Limply Stoke.
It had been bitterly cold during the days and nights leading up to this match but a rise in temperatures was forecast. I was pleasantly surprised to wake up on the Sunday morning and see that there had not been a frost but would it be the same in Bath. I was hoping the town would be pegged (a bit warmer) but when I got to the draw the pegs were all out in the country.  Not sure who makes the decision on this.
Couple of subs today by way of Tony Goodland and Jan van Mazyk plus die hards Chris, Sam, Lewis and myself.
Chris came back with the team draw and I found myself on A Section, Meadow Farm. Access to the section was down a very steep hill which you had to walk down so coming back would be done in stages.
There were 5 pegs to the left of the bridge and 4 to the right. I was on A2 so had to go left. What a bummer. The right hand side was more or less ice free and the left up by me was solid.


My peg... all that was missing was the Titanic!

On A5 was Tom Moratti who only had 'cat ice', A 4 was Jeff Surman with cat ice halfway then thicker ice. A3 was Mike Martin - Davies, cat ice which he broke with his pole. A2, me with ice so thick the hammer bounced off it. A1 Sean Townsend, thick ice.
I did not have a bite all match!!!!! hardly surprising.
Sean had 5 perch for 2oz 4 dram
Me daw
Mike 2 perch for 1oz
Jeff 3 perch for 3oz 8 dram
Tom 4lbs 6oz 8 drams (near the bridge)

The other side of the bridge fished much better...
Matt Challenger 3lbs 9 ozs
Andy Power 5lbs 13oz
Paul Purchase 2lbs 9 ozs
Craig Pinkett 6lbs 2ozs

Back at the results I was the only one in the Team to blank. There were many others who either packed up early and went home or blanked.

Team wise we had 3 section winners.... Lewis (2lbs 14oz), Tony (5lbs 4oz), Jan (6ozs 5 drams!).

One to forget me-thinks.

Results.....

Individuals on the day:
1st    Paul Issacs 7lbs 6oz
2nd  Kev Boltz 7lbs 4oz
3rd   Nathan Hawke 6lbs 5oz

Teams on the day:

A Div
1st  Thatchers B
2nd Bathampton A
3rd  M & N 
4th  Bathampton B
5th  Thatchers A

B Div
1st DW Builders and Stand and Deliver
3rd Maver
4th Nomads

Final League

A Div
1st  Thatchers B
2nd Bathampton B
3rd  Bathampton A
4th  M & N and Thatchers A

M & N relegated to B Div next year on weight.

B Div
1st  D W
2nd Nomads
3rd Maver
4th Stand and Deliver

D W Builders promoted to A Div next year.

Fishing the Angling Trust Winter League for Sensas Nomads and the Commercial House League for Maver has been great. Well done to all who took part and of course the organisers.

Maver is currently in the Viaduct Winter League Teams of 5 but I am not fishing it.

Next up for me is the Bob Warden Memorial Match on the canal next week (Bath Town).








4 comments:

  1. Hello Ivan, are there any carp at the claverton stretch of the canal or down on the feeder? It's one of my goals this year to catch a canal carp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Edward, there are carp in both canals but they are far from prolific. I think if you want to catch a canal carp you would be better trying up towards Devizes on the K & A and enquire as to the best spot via a local tackle shop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks Ivan, isn't the sharpness canal a good shout too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do fish there as well mainly in the spring. We fish the teams of 4 during April and May and I fished it for the first time last year at Purton by the Timber Ponds (you can see them on google maps). I had some great bream fishing during May and also caught some tench (see my blog). I did get smashed up by the Timber Ponds and I am told there are carp in that area.

    ReplyDelete