Thursday 21 April 2016

Wednesday 20th April - 4th visit to the Bristol Feeder Canal

Another early start in order to get parked in Feeder Rd. I was planning to fish the Central Bay approximately 50 yards downstream from where I had been the previous week. I have heard so many good reports about this spot plus Will Gibson had a nice 15 lb plus net of quality roach from the bay last week (his report is on the Bristol Feeder Canal Facebook site).
I was parked up by 06:40 and loaded the barrow heading down to my planned spot when I saw an angler already there, bugger. it was none other than Will. We introduced ourselves and had a chat. Will has only been fishing the Canal for about a year and said he had some good bream last year but none this year to date. He pointed me in the direction of Albert Rd bridge and a bay backing on to Feeder Rd Commercial Vehicles.
I was soon in place and set up my usual two top 4 rigs. I had a short Feeder Rod with me but did not set it up.
My ground bait today was a mix of Lake, Black Crumb and a helping of Mole Hill soil with a generous helping of caster and hemp. 5 balls went in down the track and 2 about 7 meters out.
It was a bit of a sharp morning and the canal was very clear.
I started down the track with maggot and had a small roach straight away followed my more bites every trot down but could not connect with the fish. A change to double caster solved this problem and I was soon swinging in small dace.
Mike Endicott an old pal turned up to watch me for 30 minutes after his night shift and is keen to get back to fishing after a long lay off bringing up a family. While Mike was there i had a couple of decent dace and another roach.
it was hard going and the sun came out as well which was nice but did not help.
Will came down after he had packed up and reported an equally hard day, he had 7 lb odd. I fished on until just after 13:00 and packed up as the lock gates where opened and there was a rush of strong dirty water coming down the Canal.
Spring balance recorded 7 lb 6 ozs and thanks to Barry another angler who just turned up to fish for taking the photo below.


I also managed to get Angling Times to give the venue a mention in this weeks paper (page 16).


Will give it another go next week.

hope to fish Durleigh Reservoir on Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment