Monday 1 February 2016

Sunday 31st January - Viaduct Teams of 5

This was my second visit to Viaduct in the the Teams of 5 series. I agreed to fish the first two and young Lewis Walker will fish the last three. I knew I would be on Cary lake and have never ever fished it but picked up a few bits of info over the past few weeks. I was told the draw was crucial on this lake (isn't it the same everywhere) and they had lost quite a few silvers a while ago plus the carp are generally bigger. The guys asked me to do the draw for them so went ahead and was first in as Don had paid the pools earlier in the week. I came back with the numbers and the look they gave me was enough to melt an iceberg, the numbers did not mean anything at all to me. Chris had a good peg on Campbell and was the only happy bunny. I had 80 and was told its absolutely crap, thanks for the motivational speech lads lol. Most anglers who walked past me gave out appropriate amounts of sympathy although one angler spent a few minutes with me pointing out where my best chance would be, fair play and thank you.
Chris also come up from his peg and tried to console me and I talked a couple of options through with him.

Peg 80

Given that is was about 2' deep on the pole line and about 1' in the margins if I was lucky I decided to set up a waggler for silvers and just a bomb rod for out as far and cast in the direction as advised. I was set up with 30 mins still to go.
The anglers either side of me did not seem that overjoyed either so my target was to try and beat them.
The all in sounded and I went straight out on the bomb with meat as far as I dare, the water had some colour in it so the bread was left in the bag. While keeping an eye on the tip I fed casters via the catty at a few points for the waggler on a regular basis. About 15 mins in I was just topping up the catty pouch when the tip began to go around really slowly, liner I thought but hit it anyway. I connected with a solid munter and managed to stop it going around the left hand side of the spit and after a nervous few mins netted a right lump hooked failrly in the mouth. The angler 2 pegs to my right had a couple on the waggler casting to an areator while the angler in between remained fishless.Through the trees I could see them catching a few in the mid 80 pegs which was to be expected. Anglers on the far side were also netting a few.
After 2 hours without anymore indications on the bomb (tried corn, bread, maggot) I gave the waggler a try with double dead red and had a small skimmer about 8 oz. That'll do me thinks but it went quiet again. I searched around on the waggler throughout the remainder of the match picking up the odd small roach and skimmer inbetween having a look on the bomb. With 30 mins to go I decided to put on a small cage feeder with bread on the hook and first cast the tip went around and produced a skimmer about 10 oz, shortly after another followed (should have tried this earlier). That was my match. I weighed one carp for 9lb 8oz and silvers went 3lb 7oz for 12lb 15oz beating the anglers either side by a considerable margin so don't think I could have done any more.

Here are the whole results:






Not sure what's happening next week.... any river matches on anywhere or natural venues anyone?
Otherwise I will go on the Kenn, tides and weather permitting.


3 comments:

  1. Ilminster AA have an open which will be on the Isle or at Dillington depending on weather :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jamie looks like 1 hour 30 min drive for me so will pass. Appreciate the note though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No worries Ivan, I didn't realise you were so far away, shame because I reckon the pond would be right up your street :)

    ReplyDelete