Sunday 1 June 2014

Sunday 1st June - South West Super League Gloucester Canal

This is was the second year Maver Cadbury Angling entered the SW Super League, the Team finished in a reasonable position last year, I did not fish for the team until September so this was my first year in the competition.

The league consists of 8 Teams of 8, teams entering this year are....
Diawa Gordon League
Sensas Thyers
Garbolino Blackmore Vale
Preston Thatchers
Maver Lobys
Cardiff Sensas Nomads
Frenze SW
Maver Cadbury Angling

Venues are Gloucester Canal, Bristol Avon Staverton, River Huntspill (2), Bristol Avon Newbridge, Bristol Avon Crane, 6 in total and spread out over the summer with a few practice matches as well.

The Team met at McDonalds, Quedgeley just off Junct 12 M5 for breakfast, not an enjoyable experience but I ate it, I say it as I was not totaly sure what it was. Then it was off to Gordon League Rugby Club for the draw. Apart of Hempstead the venue is still a bit of an unknown to me so I wasn't really bothered where I was placed as the main objective was to try and beat 7 other anglers in the section. I drew peg 30 at Sims bridge and followed team mate James Gunter to the parking spot, I only had a short walk and there was plenty of bank space above me to separate my gear from all the walkers, runners and cyclists. The far bank had cover as well. Fishing was 11:00 - 16:00. Based on instructions give I set up the pole at 5 meters to fish at 10:00 and 14:00, depth here was top 3 so nice and compfortable, another pole line was set up for 11 meters straight out in front. Last but not least the feeder for fishing across. Groundbait was a mix of Fishmeal, Noire and Black Lake, I had plenty of worm and caster alog with mag and pinkie.

At the all in I fed all my pole line quite heavy and then went across on the feeder with chop and caster with 3 pinkies on the hook, during the first hour and a half I had 1 perch, 1 ruff and 1 bootlace for about 5 oz. It was difficult to say but I could see anyone else catching so stuck at it topping up the pole lines with loose fed caster and maggot for the line at 12:00. I had a small roach and another few perch, bank walkers indicated the section was fishing rock hard with 2lb being the best weight after 3 hours! I came in on the short pole line and had a small eel followed by another small perch. There were plenty of boats going up and down as well as rowers but heres a massive jolly boat full of Sunday after noon drinkers that came down the canal and you needed to make sure your keepnet was secure.



With an hour to go and just after this big boat had passed I decide to stick it out on the feeder for the rest of the match, I had one more small perch and missed a tiny bite.

At the weigh in there was one Did Not Weigh, Tony Davis Cardiff Nomads had 2 bream for 7lb odd, the there was a 2lb 9oz followed by me with 14oz for a Section 3rd, happy with that. Here is the section weights and shows how hard it was.


Back at the Rugby Club most of the Team had come back which is always a good sign, Ian Hudson was 2nd in his section (Hempstead) with 9lb odd, Chris and Sean had also come 3rd in their sections and Sam fourth I think, total points around 36 with one of the team blanking. Overall we came 4th on the day, not bad and not a disaster by any means. Maver Lobbys won the day so fair play to them.

Top weight was 19lb ish
No fishing next week, off to London for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment