Sunday 26 January 2014

Saturday 25th January - Chicken and Currie at Acorn

Clevedon Match Secretary Adie Baker sent out a text during the week reminding everyone there are Open Matches every Saturday on our Club Match Lake within the Acorn Complex at Kingston Seymour. I had not planned to go fishing this weekend but with the wife working it would be rude not to, so a response back to Adie on the Friday informed him I would come along. I have not fished Paddock Lake since the Club took it over back in July last year, I knew the numbers had dropped a bit during the winter but it was to be expected and there wer also other matches being held on the Sunday. Adie won the last match with 54lb so knew I would not need that much in the way of bait. Micro's and soft pellet, some left over maggots, worm and bread would do me. Saturdays weather forecast seemed reasonable as opposed to Sundays. I got there about 8:15 and could not see anyone else, then about 8:30 Adie turned up and a couple of Club regulars Lee Williams, Glen Calvert and Mark Walsh supplemented by by 2 other guys and a phone call from Andy Guard confirming he would be coming so someone draw a peg for him. That was it I think, 8 in all. £13 entry fee including the Golden Peg and paying top 2 only. Golden Peg was drawn - 37, I drew about 5th and pulled out 37, a bad omen. The Golden Peg only stood at £18 anyway. The bridge pegs usually produce more than any other on this lake, Adie, Glen, Andy Guard and another guy who I don't know all drew bridges.

Adie was on 22, Glen was on 34, Andy was on 33 and the other chap was on 40.

Like I said the weather forecast was reasonable and it was nice and mild but the wind was due to come in later in the day. Look at my peg, flat calm at the start, it did not look anything like this at 14:00.



I only set up 2 rigs, 1 for down the middle and 1 to fish across in 2 palces just at the bottom of the far shelf, nothing complicated with kinder pots on each top 2 to feed lightly although I did put in some groundbait through a pole cup down the middle at the start.
To say the action was slow was an understatement, I think Andy Guard was first to catch a carp as far as I could see, then after an hour I could see Adie on 22 landing something. Adie did catch in between long periods and they all looked like carp, he had one on for what seemed like ages. I saw Glen land a couple but it was hardly fast and furious. About 2 hours into the match I got a dip on the float struck but nothing there, think it was a liner. Another long wait before an indication, struck and a small roach came flying out of the water attached to my line then fell off! Although I kept concentrating I was not enjoying it and started swearing at the chickens who were climbing all over my gear, nicking bait and getting tangled up in my top 2's and puddle chucker that I had set up. I did try the straight lead with bread a few times but nothing.

Heres those pesky chickens, peacocks were also wandering around directly behind me looking for food and chasing the chickens after they nicked some of my bait!



The wind really started to get up around 13:00 but in bursts and not all the time, I was catching the odd roach and managed a crucian as well about 1.5lbs, so would they come late....!
Rain began to come down along with the increased wind, a piece of wood under a canopy on a caravan parked in the construction yard free'd itself and went hurtling skywards towards the nearby M5, I looked across to Aidie and he was off his box putting some of his gear in the car, it was beginning to be impossible to hold the pole and the risk of a break was high. I then saw the Net Dip lid alongside Adie come off and head towards Mar's lol. Adie came around about 14:45 and we all agreed to abandon ship. I packed up quickly, put my fish back, 3lb tops. Adie was weighing in but I did not stay but he sent a text with the results, and as follows....

1st Adie Baker 25lb
2nd Lee Waller 20lb 2oz
3rd Glen Calvert 14lb

So that was it. Youngest daughter home from Uni next week for her 20th Birthday so will not bother fishing.

3 comments:

  1. I had the full force of the wind side on to me on peg 27, by 2:20 my bait had all been blown over, I had to get 4 bait tubs from next to peg 26, luckily they didn't sink, my bread had blown away and my topkits kept growing legs.
    I did tip back 1 little carp of 2lb or so and maybe 13-14lb of skimmers, roach, crucians a tench and a few small f1's. I defo had more than Glen, but not over 20lb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did well then Lee from a generally poor area

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. Walshy struggled on 29, I think he only had 3 fish, maybe 4, all 'silvers'.

    It was only the 2nd time I have fished it, I had peg 26 two weeks ok and did 'ok'.
    At least all the wildfowl will have fed well on the bait that covered my platform, a pint of maggot, a pint of micro, 1/2pt of expanders, 2pt of groundbait and some prawns.....oh and 2 slices of bread.

    I may have another go in 2 or 4 weeks, depending on work etc.

    ReplyDelete