Monday 23 December 2013

Sunday 22nd December - Clevedon Christmas Match

Clevedon Freshwater Angling Club Christmas Match was held on the Main and Match Lake (aka Horseshoe). 31 Anglers turned up which is very good by todays standards, I was told a few other guys guys who booked had to work and a couple were suffering from alcohol abuse from the night before. Match Secretary Adie Baker was in charge and ran a good match as well as organising the prizes and raffle. 11 anglers would be on the Match Lake (Horseshoe) and 20 on the Main which is about right for the Main Lake (even though there are 40 pegs!). The money was well spread with similar top pay-outs on both lakes. I drew peg 10 on the Match Lake so was only up against 10 other anglers. A quick check with Scott and Simon who pegged it confirmed I was on the top left peg on the island, I was happy with that and had plenty of room.

 
Match Lake above and my peg circled

The peg did look ok with an island feature but when I plumbed up the maximum depth I had was 2' 6'', not good on a bitterly cold day and a strong wind. 3 rigs were set up for the peg nothing complicated and a small kinder pot on each of the top 2's for feeding micro pellet, dead maggot and swim stim. Opposite me was carp slayer Rich Lovering and round from him on the top end of the main bank was Andy Hembrow. Fishing was from 10:15 - 15:15 and I was just about ready when the all in was called. About 15 mins in I could see Rich had a carp on catching tight against the island on his side but it came off, foul hooked. It was encouranging to see this but I found it difficult to fish long due to the strong icey wind, I did hook one at about 11 meters but it also was foul hooked and came off at the net. I had been drip feeding to my left about 3 meters out from the near bank and at 8 meters and gave it a try 2 hours in. The float sailed away instantly and I landed one about 3lb on live maggot and an 18 hook. At this pont Rich was still fishless, I could see Rich Healey down to Rich Lovering right and as far as I could see he was also fishless to this point. I kept having a look along this line and was getting mirco bites (little dips of the float but nothing on the end when I struck). Rich opposite me also came on the inside and had 2 carp in a row! I persevered and had a small skimmer a very very small perch and 3 roach. I added another carp and over the course of the match lost another 3 foul hookers(bugger). Kev Perry came down the bank for a walk and was blanking, news was Glen Calvert had 3 carp and was playing another. Rich Lovering added another 2 from the inside. It was a tough day but I did enjoy it.

Top weight on the Match Lake was Rich Lovering with 15lb 5oz (4 carp).


Rich Lovering

2nd on the lake was Glen Calvert with 11lb 8oz (also 4 carp but a smaller stamp).
3rd was Phil Decon (I think that was his surname) with 8lb 3oz.

1st in the silvers was Andy Hembrow with a big skimmer for 2lb 2 oz.
2nd sliver prize went to Simon Carvello with 1lb 8oz on a dodgy set of scales.

I weighed in 7lb 12oz, I know that Rich Healey blanked and Kev Perry tried to blag a late rudd after the whistle stating that it took him 15 mins to land it.

Here is Kev below selecting the wifes Christmas present from the raffle prizes (he knows how to treat her)


Over on the Main Lake it was also a struggle. Top weight was my old mate John (the duck) Wolstencroft with 64lb 10oz, 12 carp on the bread feeder with popped up bread (you see he was trying to catch a duck!). Fair play to him, he was on peg 8, a peg I fancied myself. The money will come in handy as John has a new car, an Audi with a personalised number plate... MA55OTT (maggot lol, could have been worse and begun with an 'F'). Seriously it was great to see John win, he reallty does prepare and try hard during the course of a match.


John Wolstencroft
2nd was Maver backed Dom Sutherland with 25lb 8oz and 3rd was Clevedon's Paul Nichols with 19lb 12oz off peg 1.
Top silver weight was Mike Owen with a net of perch for 6lb 14oz.
2nd was Brian Slipper with 5lb 7oz

A special going away gift was presented to Phil Nash who is emigrating to Canada so all the best Phil.


Phil Nash

Adie Baker called out the results in order, I ended up 12th, so not bad out of a field of 31 and on a hard day. Several really good anglers blanked and Adie made them do the walk of shame (brave man but all took it well).

Next up is the blind pairs match on 29th which is being held on the main lake at Plantation, I am booked in but haven't told the wife yet.
Until then merry Christmas all and tight lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment