Sunday 2 September 2012

Sunday 2nd Sept River Kenn

I picked up a pint of caster and a half pint of maggot Saturday afternoon from Cadbury Angling,I still wasn't sure where I was going to go on Sunday. I had toyed with the Summerhayes open but the thought of coming back up the M5 with all the holiday traffic put me off, I also thought about trying to book int Shiplake but decided against it as we have a Club match there next Sunday. I got up about 8.15 on Sunday and still was not decided, had a bit of breakie and kept looking out the window for devine inspiration. There was some very light drizzel and it was overcast with a little bit of wind. Motorway section of the River Kenn it was to be then. I got some worm from the compost bin and loaded up the car at around 9.30. I parked in the layby in Davis Lane and went back and forwards from the car with my gear over the two stiles. All on the re-assembled barrow and off up toward the motorway. I didn't take a pole, just waggler and two feeder rods.
I was mindful of picking a swim with far bank cover as there are a lot of dog walkers on the far bank during the day and they do not give a monkeys if their dog goes for a dip opposite you. The water was fairly clear as well and there was a gentle upstream breeze, there was also a lot of streamer weed either side of the middle, it did look fishy.
I settled in on a comfortable bit of bank and was able to get close to the water, the M5 mototway was about 3 or 4 pegs upstream.


I mixed up some Sensas Silver Fish with Green Swim Stim and Sensas Magic, it looked great and a nice dark colour. I set up the wag and found about 6' down the track, the medium feeder rod was set up with a small 20g cage feeder to a 16 drennan carbon chub tied to 0.13 due to the weed.
I started fishing just before 11.00 with catapulted casters don the track and began with the wag, it was going through quite nice. After a few trots down the float buried and the predictable perch of about 5oz as soon in the net, a few more followed over the first hour before putting the rod up the bank behind me. I decided then and there to have a more postive aproach and put a worm and mag out on the feeder casting about two thirds across, more perch followed but a better stamp. About 12.30 I got really positive pull rounds but could not connect, liners? Bream where about as slime came back on the line, I tried casting shorter but same thing happened, no connection with the bite. I put on a whole red worm with 2 maggots and on the next pull connected with a bream but slipped the hook. Out again but this time connected, a good fish around 4lb was in the net after a  good scrap. More liners followed the I connected with what I thought was a carp! It tore off down stream and into some weed, I got it out and it came to the surface, looked like a common carp in the sun and ripple. I got in in after a hell of a fight, it was a big hybrid around 4lb 8oz. It appeared to have killed the swim with all the splashing around etc but a few more perch followed. While I was about to swing one in around 4oz this huge perch followed it in. I packed up at 3.45 as had to pick mum up for dinner in Portishead. So al in all a good day, 1 Bream, 1 Hybrid and 12 perch for well over 10lb. Pic of the bigger fish below.



Only saw one roach top all day but a lot of fry in the margins. Shiplake Farm next Sunday for Clevedon Club match and back to work tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment